NSS4000 Harddrive update

Answered Question
Mar 23rd, 2010

Hi,

I'd like to get some clarity on a matter.

At the moment my NSS4000 is running in Raid5 with 4 * 1TB drives.

I would like to upgrade these to 4 * 2TB drives.

I'm fairly sure that when i swap the drives 1 by 1 and let them rebuild, that everything will be fine.

But what i would like to know now is that when all drives have been upgraded will i be able to extend the capacity of my shares?

Kind ragards

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Glenn Quesenberry about 6 years 8 months ago

You can expand your RAID 5 capacity one drive at at time as you suggest, instructions for doing this can be accessed in the NSS on-line "help" screens as well as the Admin Guide for the NSS4000.  Keep in mind however that the total capacity is limited to the smallest drive size in the RAID array so you won't see the full capacity of your 2TB drives in the array until ALL of the 2TB drives have been installed and reconfigured.  Also, be advised that should there be a HD failure while expanding/building the RAID 5 array you could have data loss.  Because of this it's HIGHLY recommended that you backup your NSS data before performing this type of upgrade. 

Once you have replaced your 1TB drives one at a time and allowed each of them to be configured in the array 1 at a time (could be a lengthy process) you can then edit the capacity of your Volumes up to the new total available RAID 5 capacity, which in turn dictates the storage capacity of your shares.  To expand your Volume capacity from the MANAGER MENU, click on STORAGE>VOLUMES, then click the "Edit" button on the Volume you which to expand.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Glenn

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Glenn Quesenberry Thu, 03/25/2010 - 07:52

You can expand your RAID 5 capacity one drive at at time as you suggest, instructions for doing this can be accessed in the NSS on-line "help" screens as well as the Admin Guide for the NSS4000.  Keep in mind however that the total capacity is limited to the smallest drive size in the RAID array so you won't see the full capacity of your 2TB drives in the array until ALL of the 2TB drives have been installed and reconfigured.  Also, be advised that should there be a HD failure while expanding/building the RAID 5 array you could have data loss.  Because of this it's HIGHLY recommended that you backup your NSS data before performing this type of upgrade. 

Once you have replaced your 1TB drives one at a time and allowed each of them to be configured in the array 1 at a time (could be a lengthy process) you can then edit the capacity of your Volumes up to the new total available RAID 5 capacity, which in turn dictates the storage capacity of your shares.  To expand your Volume capacity from the MANAGER MENU, click on STORAGE>VOLUMES, then click the "Edit" button on the Volume you which to expand.

Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Glenn

Glenn Quesenberry Thu, 03/25/2010 - 07:54

Also I should have added that if you have a drive configured as a SPARE in the array, remove it prior to starting your reconfiguration process.  Otherwise the full capacity of your new drives will not be shown.

Hi Glenn,

I have resurrected an old NS4000(4x750Gb, RAID5) so you instructions will be handy for me to increase its capacity.  I noticed that you mention to back up the data before the process is begun. What is the best method to back up the data on this device. Are the usb ports available for external usb drives?

thanks in advance for any suggestions

PeterW

Glenn Quesenberry Wed, 02/01/2012 - 16:02

Peter, unfortunately not on the older 4000 series NAS they are not enabled for external usb drives.  The recommended means to back up the system would be to another network store (say another NAS on the same network) or via WebDav.  I believe instructions for both can be found in the original Admin Guide for that product...

Best Regards,

Glenn

Actions

This Discussion