Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Subscriber Crashed

Hi, this evening i had this issue at my office publisher and subscriber went down, i still dont know exactly why

We are using call manager 4.0

When i step into the cpd publiser was off and subscriber was on, but i couldnt reach it by ping.

I think that they have rebooted due to a temperature issue, and critical file of subscriber have been corrupted in the process (i know that for sure)

I have a couple of questions about it

1. How do i reinstall de subscriber, i know the configuration, but i allways have done it in a lab enviroment, never on a "real" call manager and i cant get the proccess started, in the boot order is selected Cd as first option but allways boot from the corrupted installation

2. How can i found out what happened? im assuming that i lost all the iformation on subscriber, but im sure that it happened the same to the publisher, there is any kind of system logs in the call manager 4.0 or the windows server that can tell me what happened in order to avoid this kind of problems in the future?

Thanks for your help in advance, this is my first "serious problem" since im into voice ip and in this position so all help will be greatly apreciated

Regards.

Cesar

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am assuming that your Publisher is OK and that your Subscriber won't boot or you're getting some sort of critical error upon system startup...in other words, I'm skipping troubleshooting and going to the root of the question.

1) How do you rebuild the Subscriber?  You need to rebuild the Sub from scratch using the CD or DVD for your version of CUCM.  I suspect that you may be missing a boot sequence message that says something to the effect of "To boot from CD, press ...." and if you don't, the system will boot as it normally would.  So, you need to rebuild the Subscriber to the exact OS patch level and CCM patch level as the Publisher.  You should also re-use the hostname and IP settings or you will need to add a "new" Sub in CCM Administration on the Publisher before you add it to the cluster.

2) How do you find out what happened?  Well, you have Windows OS logs that are of most value if you believe you had an environmental issue.  However, these types of issues are sometimes difficult to run down.  If you rebuild the Subscriber, the logs will get wiped out so you'll have to go by what you find on the Publisher.  Dont forget to check the Dr. Watson logs as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

Hi

If it's a HP server... once you have the server back up, check in Start/Programs for any HP or Compaq folders - there used to be a utility called 'Embedded Management Log' that stored system hardware related events somewhere in the server (separate to the OS, so would survive a rebuild of the OS).

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I am assuming that your Publisher is OK and that your Subscriber won't boot or you're getting some sort of critical error upon system startup...in other words, I'm skipping troubleshooting and going to the root of the question.

1) How do you rebuild the Subscriber?  You need to rebuild the Sub from scratch using the CD or DVD for your version of CUCM.  I suspect that you may be missing a boot sequence message that says something to the effect of "To boot from CD, press ...." and if you don't, the system will boot as it normally would.  So, you need to rebuild the Subscriber to the exact OS patch level and CCM patch level as the Publisher.  You should also re-use the hostname and IP settings or you will need to add a "new" Sub in CCM Administration on the Publisher before you add it to the cluster.

2) How do you find out what happened?  Well, you have Windows OS logs that are of most value if you believe you had an environmental issue.  However, these types of issues are sometimes difficult to run down.  If you rebuild the Subscriber, the logs will get wiped out so you'll have to go by what you find on the Publisher.  Dont forget to check the Dr. Watson logs as well.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Thanks for your help,

I have solved the first issue, i was just missing the o/s disk, because its cm 4.0 and it ocmes with an o/s disck and 2 CM disks

About the second issue, we are running tha call managers on MCS 7800 platforms, i was checking the specs and the operating temperature range is between 10º and 35º C , plus, when i first arrived the console was displaying a temperature alert, since the publisher "survived" can i check if a rebood due to a temperature problem ocurred?

Thanks a lot

Cesar

Hi

If it's a HP server... once you have the server back up, check in Start/Programs for any HP or Compaq folders - there used to be a utility called 'Embedded Management Log' that stored system hardware related events somewhere in the server (separate to the OS, so would survive a rebuild of the OS).

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts..

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: