cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can SNMP traps account for PPPoE users on a router?

csamuelps
Level 1
Level 1

For auditing purposes I want to use SNMP traps to account for PPPoE users on a router?  I don't see a way to do this.  Is is possible?  If not, what's the best way to go about this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

"snmp-server enable traps pppoe" doesn't provide that typo of info, nor do I think it should anyway. OTOH, if you configure "aaa accounting" globally or "ppp accounting" per interface, the NAS (your rtr) can report such user info to the AAA (RADIUS  or TACACS) backend:

rtr# show accounting

Active Accounted actions on tty0, User (not logged in) Priv 1

Task ID 1, EXEC Accounting record, 00:35:16 Elapsed

task_id=1 service=shell 

Active Accounted actions on tty33, User ellie Priv 1

Task ID 16, EXEC Accounting record, 00:00:17 Elapsed

task_id=16 service=shell 

Active Accounted actions on Interface Async33, User tom Priv 1

Task ID 17, Network Accounting record, 00:00:13 Elapsed

task_id=17 service=ppp protocol=ip addr=10.0.0.1 

Then it's a matter of instrumenting a solution on the AAA server to alert/report however you want for the auditors. I'd think SNMP trap wouldn't be the first choice as the delivery mechanism in that case, as there're far more straight-forward options on a server.

Alternatively, If you believe such info can be obtained with some show commands on the router itself, and the router supports EEM, I'd suggest seeking a potential EEM-based solution over in the other Network Management forum (https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/network-management), which can certainly generate SNMP trap accordingly.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What do you mean by "account for PPPoE users"? Send a trap every time a PPPoE user signs on or off?

Yes, I'm looking for username, IP address, and time signed on/off.

"snmp-server enable traps pppoe" doesn't provide that typo of info, nor do I think it should anyway. OTOH, if you configure "aaa accounting" globally or "ppp accounting" per interface, the NAS (your rtr) can report such user info to the AAA (RADIUS  or TACACS) backend:

rtr# show accounting

Active Accounted actions on tty0, User (not logged in) Priv 1

Task ID 1, EXEC Accounting record, 00:35:16 Elapsed

task_id=1 service=shell 

Active Accounted actions on tty33, User ellie Priv 1

Task ID 16, EXEC Accounting record, 00:00:17 Elapsed

task_id=16 service=shell 

Active Accounted actions on Interface Async33, User tom Priv 1

Task ID 17, Network Accounting record, 00:00:13 Elapsed

task_id=17 service=ppp protocol=ip addr=10.0.0.1 

Then it's a matter of instrumenting a solution on the AAA server to alert/report however you want for the auditors. I'd think SNMP trap wouldn't be the first choice as the delivery mechanism in that case, as there're far more straight-forward options on a server.

Alternatively, If you believe such info can be obtained with some show commands on the router itself, and the router supports EEM, I'd suggest seeking a potential EEM-based solution over in the other Network Management forum (https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/network-management), which can certainly generate SNMP trap accordingly.

Thanks.  That answers my question.   -Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card