cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Secondary IP Addresses and SNMP

yangrish
Level 1
Level 1

How can I tell using SNMP whether an IP address configured on an interface is primary or secondary?  Thanks for any help.

4 Replies 4

yjdabear
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What is the context of the "primary or secondary" you're referring to? In HSRP or something else?

Thanks for responding.

Yes, I looked into the CISCO-HSRP-MIB. Using, oid 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.106.1.2.1.1.11., I can get the primary IP address. Using this I can determine which IP block is primary and which is secondary.

However, I would like to be able to determine if the IP address configured on an interface is primary or secondary if HSRP is not configured.

CISCO-IP-IF-MIB seems to be able to do it, however, I see no support for it on the ASRs.

Thanks,

Yogi

Is ciiIPAddressCategoryCap the OID you're referring to when you say "CISCO-IP-IF-MIB seems to be able to do it"? That answer notwithstanding, here's a little thinking-out-loud:

I don't know to what extent you want to rely on SNMP. I think you could simply use SNMP or some other means to pull off the entire IOS config, and parse it with Perl/sed/whatever on your local box.

Or, since you can already "determine which IP block is primary and which is secondary" with CISCO-HSRP-MIB, you could also poll "ipAdEntAddr / 1.3.6.1.2.1.4.20.1.1". By piecing those two together, maybe it could get you what you want.

Finally, if you know what you're looking for can be found with some combo of IOS "show" commands, I suggest posting in the other Network Management forum: https://supportforums.cisco.com/community/netpro/network-infrastructure/network-management, for a possible EEM-based solution.

Thanks for responding, yjdabear.

We will probably get the running config and work that way. Many thanks for the idea!

Yogi

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card