Views
Helpful
Replies

Differences between VG202 and ATA186

l.buschi
Level 2
Level 2

Hi all,

what are the main differences (apart from prices and licensing) between VG202 and ATA186?

What is the best choice for FAX connectivity?

And also does the VG family not require any license to work with CUCM7.X even in SCCP?

THanks

Johnny

2 Replies 2

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

Well... the ATAs are very old hardware now, and they aren't great. They have basic fax support (pass through only) and typically you get low rate connections. They run a non-standard OS, and have a very non-standard config interface.

The VG2xx are all IOS based, new hardware, better fax support for more protocols, and I expect they have a much longer future in terms of support/software maintenance etc.

I've not used a 202/204 yet personally though...

I can tell you that on my lab 7.x system DLUs aren't enforced for the 202/204 (even in SCCP mode), although they are for ATAs.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

alijames
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We use both VG224s and ATA186s for analogue capability. Both seem to work fine for faxes.

With regards to licensing, the VG2xx devices do not currrently cosume DLUs, but apparently they will incur license costs when the new user based licensing comes into effect with incur 7.1.5 & 8.0.

Cheers,

Alistair

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: