cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting up ports for a NIC team on a 2960?

Chris Bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

Please forgive me as I'm a Cisco newbie...  Little bit of experience in the CLI over the years, but nothing hardcore...  I have a Cisco WS-C2960G-48TC-L.  At present, I have web access to its admin panel, and in a real pinch I could connect to it over CLI.  If possible, however, I'd rather stick to the admin panel or the use of the Cisco Network Assistant, which I also have installed on my workstation...

Anywho, what I'd like to do is "team" a pair of NIC cards on one of the servers I have attached to this switch.  I know how to team the NICs on the Server 2008 R2 server, but I'm told that I then need to "create a port channel on the Cisco Switch and  then put both the interfaces on the switch into that PO".

That was advice I got on another forum, but I'm not really sure what it means or how to do it on the 2960.

Can someone give me a hand, please?  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Chris

3 Replies 3

Chris Bartlett
Level 1
Level 1

*** BUMP ***

Can someone give me a hand with this, please?  Thanks!

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Chris,

the suggestion is correct

A further recommandation is to use the standard based LACP protocol to negotiate membership on the links (and to detect failure)

Configuration on the CLI can be the following:

link C2960 configuration guide

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_46_se/configuration/guide/swethchl.html#wp1276347

a) you prepare member links with same configuration (including speed and duplex if applicable)

int gi0/5

switchport

swtchport mode access

switchport access vlan X

sh

nt gi0/6

switchport

swtchport mode access

switchport  access vlan X

sh

b) you associate the member links to the LACP channel

int gi0/5

channel-group N mode active

int gi0/6

channel-group N mode active

this creates a logical port-channel N interface

c) you enable the member links

! note the use of spaces in interface range command otherwise command is rejected

interface range gigabitethernet 0/5 - 6

no shut

the idea is to use range to have both interfaces started at the same time. this is considered best practice.

verify if you need to unshut also port-channel N

use

sh etherchannel summary

to monitor the status of LACP

note: to use LACP you need to enable it on your server or the switch will turn down the ports if doesn't listen LACP messages on them

refer to your server documentation for doing this

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

Please forgive me as I'm a Cisco newbie...  Little bit of experience in the CLI over the years, but nothing hardcore...  I have a Cisco WS-C2960G-48TC-L.  At present, I have web access to its admin panel, and in a real pinch I could connect to it over CLI.  If possible, however, I'd rather stick to the admin panel or the use of the Cisco Network Assistant, which I also have installed on my workstation...

Anywho, what I'd like to do is "team" a pair of NIC cards on one of the servers I have attached to this switch.  I know how to team the NICs on the Server 2008 R2 server, but I'm told that I then need to "create a port channel on the Cisco Switch and  then put both the interfaces on the switch into that PO".

That was advice I got on another forum, but I'm not really sure what it means or how to do it on the 2960.

Can someone give me a hand, please?  I'd really appreciate it.  Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris,

Creating a port channel in switch means youneed to bundle two ports which are coming from server end to switch with common negotioation protocol like LACP or direct mode on at switch end and at server nic teaming configiration time.

Check out the belowl ink for etherchannel configuiration in 2960 switches

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_25_see/configuration/guide/swethchl.html

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card