Views
Helpful
Replies

Gigastack GBIC failure

maverik18
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am quite new to Cisco products and currently analysing some Cisco IOS system messgaes. One of them states:" %GIGASTACK-3-INIT_FAILURE : Gigastack GBIC in [chars] initialization failed."

I wanted to know when such failure happens, does that mean that the particular switch is not connected to the network (Till the Gigastack GBIC is up)?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello EE EE,

yes, if there is an alternate path for the management vlan to exit the device that path can be normally in STP blocking state and moved to forwarding state when the root port (Gigastack GBIC) fails.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello EE EE,

the switch might have been able to initialize the gigastack GBIC at a later time, or it has other ways to connect to the rest of the network

if that specific GBIC is now operational at a later time you should find a similar message telling that initialization has been successful

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks a lot Giuseppe. I'l be more specific in regard to my question. Actually I need to send these syslog messages to a remote syslog server. So will it possible for the switch to send this msg when the Gigastack GBIC is down thorugh other means??

Hello EE EE,

yes, if there is an alternate path for the management vlan to exit the device that path can be normally in STP blocking state and moved to forwarding state when the root port (Gigastack GBIC) fails.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thnx a lot Giuseppe. This answeres my question.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: