cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 site-to-site user limits??

mikentosh
Level 1
Level 1

With a S2S connection to an ASA5505, is there a limit on the number of users that can access the connection. i.e. - I have 40 users from one network that need to access a secure program on another network. Can the ASA5505 handle this or do I need additional licensing???

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

A UR license will allow unlimited users. Sessions are not 'monitored' for licensing purposes, Cisco uses MAC addresses for user licensing.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

mikentosh wrote:

With a S2S connection to an ASA5505, is there a limit on the number of users that can access the connection. i.e. - I have 40 users from one network that need to access a secure program on another network. Can the ASA5505 handle this or do I need additional licensing???

Mike

As long as the ASA license you have supports the number of users then there is no specific licensing for a site-to-site VPN that you need and yes it should be able to handle it fine.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

So a Cisco ASA 5505 Unlimited-User Bundle will allow this? Just want to be sure I don't need a 5510. Sorry for my ignorance, I get confused between the Session and User licensing. My understanding is that a session is IP to IP.

A UR license will allow unlimited users. Sessions are not 'monitored' for licensing purposes, Cisco uses MAC addresses for user licensing.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You may need additional licensing. You can buy a 50 user license or a UL or unrestricted license which allows an unlimited amount of users. A show version will show your current license and how many users are allowed.

Hope it helps.

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

mikentosh
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the help, y'all!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card