What's the default user name for the switch?

Answered Question
Mar 24th, 2010

Hi,

I just realized I made a mistake when I modified the login for the switch 2950G-48. There was old user name and password for the login. I deleted them and configured a temperary line password and enable secret for the switch. But I forgot delete the "login local" configuration under console and vty. When I timed out from the session, the switch asked me for username. I tried the old ones, no one worked. Is there any default username I can try? I really don't want to reboot the switch to enter into boot mode to recover the old username and password. Please help.

Appreciated.

Lou

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Collin_Clark about 4 years 4 weeks ago

You could try cisco/cisco. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reboot. If you didn't save the config, a reboot will restore the previous config and you shouldn't have to do a password recovery.

Hope it helps.

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Average Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Collin_Clark Wed, 03/24/2010 - 06:31

You could try cisco/cisco. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reboot. If you didn't save the config, a reboot will restore the previous config and you shouldn't have to do a password recovery.

Hope it helps.

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

hxmengmetro Wed, 03/24/2010 - 06:35

Thanks Collin. I didn't save the config. The cisco/cisco doesn't work. Sigh. If I have to reboot it, I need schedule a down time to do this sometime. Sigh.

Lou

hxmengmetro Wed, 03/24/2010 - 06:41

Right. I tried all the possible username. They didn't work. I guess no default username for IOS version switch. Thank you!

Actions

Login or Register to take actions

This Discussion

Posted March 24, 2010 at 6:24 AM
Stats:
Replies:4 Avg. Rating:5
Views:660 Votes:0
Shares:0
Tags: No tags.

Discussions Leaderboard

Rank Username Points
1 15,007