cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What's the default user name for the switch?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just realized I made a mistake when I modified the login for the switch 2950G-48. There was old user name and password for the login. I deleted them and configured a temperary line password and enable secret for the switch. But I forgot delete the "login local" configuration under console and vty. When I timed out from the session, the switch asked me for username. I tried the old ones, no one worked. Is there any default username I can try? I really don't want to reboot the switch to enter into boot mode to recover the old username and password. Please help.

Appreciated.

Lou

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try cisco/cisco. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reboot. If you didn't save the config, a reboot will restore the previous config and you shouldn't have to do a password recovery.

Hope it helps.

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could try cisco/cisco. If that doesn't work, you'll have to reboot. If you didn't save the config, a reboot will restore the previous config and you shouldn't have to do a password recovery.

Hope it helps.

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Thanks Collin. I didn't save the config. The cisco/cisco doesn't work. Sigh. If I have to reboot it, I need schedule a down time to do this sometime. Sigh.

Lou

That's better than a remote password recovery

Right. I tried all the possible username. They didn't work. I guess no default username for IOS version switch. Thank you!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card