cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 6513 Switch IOS Upgrade redundancy force-switchover

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

I performed an IOS upgrade on my 6513 with redundant 720 sup's.  I was under the impression that when I forced a switch to the standby sup using the redundancy force-switchover that it would be seamless.  But what really happened is that when it switched over, the whole unit basically reset.  So all of the switchport line cards reset. It took about a minute to reset everything

Is that the expected behavior?

Also, when I performed the switch back to the original sup engine, there was no outage, it was seamless.  So not sure why that was different.

Both sups were at same IOS level and were running in active/hot sso mode.

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

packetzen
Level 1
Level 1

I think I might know what happened.  The first step to the upgrade procedure is to do a hw-module-reset to the standby sup.  Once this happens the standby is running the IOS code and the primary sup is running the older IOS code.  I did not check this on mine but I would imagine I would be in a 'cold' state as far as the redundancy goes.  So a switchover would take a minute or two.  Once I upgraded the original primary they were both running same IOS ver and that second switchover was seamless becuase it was in a 'Hot' state.

Thanks,

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6
I think you were supposed to do the hw-module X reset command first before redundancy force-switchover
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card