cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

RouterOnStick

Cookie.90
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, im new to this forum so if this is in the wrong place etc please let me know.

I have configured the "router on a stick" with sub interfaces etc and connected it two my LAN which is all working good. My question is at the moment there is a single point of failure due to the fact there is only one link between the switch and router. Is there anyway of making it more robust by adding another link to a different switch or even two links through the one switch? im confusing my self and would like to know if this is possible and if so what configurations are needed, Any help would be much apreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Dear cookie,

That is right. Router is a single point of failure but if you can spare another fastethernet link then atleast we can make interface redundancy possible for the time being. Now instead of going into configuration detail, let us know the model and IOS you are using. The very quick and robust method i can think of now is using EEM to detect the failure of first interface and enabling the other interface (that has already all the configuration).

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

One way you could do it is to add a switch module into the router and have multiple trunks to your switches. You would then use VLAN interfaces instead of physical sub-interfaces. A single router is also a single point of failure too :-)

Cisco will donate $1 to the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

http://www.joomlatabs.com/thermometer/thermo.php?max=10000&current=82&var=lt&color=red

Ok that will be something to look into thanks for the the fast reply and information, the fact about the router being a single point of failure is very true never looked at it that way :S thanks again

Dear cookie,

That is right. Router is a single point of failure but if you can spare another fastethernet link then atleast we can make interface redundancy possible for the time being. Now instead of going into configuration detail, let us know the model and IOS you are using. The very quick and robust method i can think of now is using EEM to detect the failure of first interface and enabling the other interface (that has already all the configuration).

Hope this helps

This sounds like the type of method i was thinking of but didnt know existed! The router is a 2621XM and the ios is 12.2,

Thank you for the help,

Chris

Dear Cookie,

Can you upgrade the IOS to 12.4 ?, in that case we will have EEM 2.4 and enough options to carry out your tasks.

Let me know about ios upgrade possibility so we can work with your solution..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card