Replies

cisco vpn client and error 422

FALCONSEYE
Level 1
Level 1

When I try to connect to the cisco vpn client, I get this error:

secure  vpn: connection terminated locally by the client
reason:422 failed  to enable virtual adapter

I googled this error, and several sites  suggested uninstalling/reinstalling cisco vpn client. That didn't help. 
Btw, I see the Cisco VPN Adapter under my network connections.  

Couple  other sites suggest disabling internet connection sharing on vista.  This is a windows xp machine with sp3. In my LAN properties, the  "internet connection sharing" checkbox is unchecked. 

There are  couple firewalls, which I disabled. Still no luck.

I had a pc  problem couple weeks ago, and I had to reinstall everything from  scratch. I didn't receive this error before.
How can I resolve this  issue?

Thanks in advance.

20 Replies 20

slmansfield
Level 4
Level 4

Maybe try repairing and/or rebuilding your TCP/IP stack to your LAN adapter.

The repair option is within the support tab for the network connection.

Here is a URL for rebuilding the TCP stack with netsh.

http://searchwindowsserver.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid68_gci1193133,00.html

HTH

thanks, i will have to try this when i get home. is there any "side effects" of resetting tcp/ip ?

I just ran it on both of my PC's, including this PC that has a VPN connection.  No disruptions occurred on either PC.  That said, I was not having any trouble with either PC prior to running that utility.

hcastillo5
Level 1
Level 1

For what is it's worth, this is the same error message you get when the client software isn't

installed with the administrator account in Vista.

I would disable any connectors that aren't being used (wireless, etc) and reinstall the client under an admin account.

Correction: The error code is actually 442.

Tried :

netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

this didn't help either.

The pc is hooked up to a DLink DAP-1522, access point. The access point is wirelessly connecting to DLink DIR-655. I will try to reinstall the cisco vpn client without the access point attached.

Forget one more thing, there is only one account on the pc which is the admin account.

thanks

Sorry that did not work.  In searching the Internet I found a few things that impact the VPN adaptor in WIN XP.

Someone found that in the wireless adapter properties for Internet Connection Sharing that you uncheck the box to (not) allow sharing of the wireless Internet connection.

This is this URL that says to try running the repair utility against the wireless adapter.

http://computerproblemsolutions.blogspot.com/2009/11/cisco-vpn-client-error-message-reason.html

I would also check to make sure your wireless adapter does not have a firewall enabled on it.

HTH

One more thing I found in my own notes on the subject.  I found that wireless VPN clients have to have the box checked in the properties for the wireless NIC called "Deterministic Network Enhancer".

Thank you! I will try these solutions.

grrr. I still get this lousy reason 442: failed to enable virtual adapter. The windows firewall and mcafee firewall are disabled. I uninstalled / reinstalled the vpn client. The "Internet Connection Sharing" is not allowed. I cannot find "Deterministic Network Enhancer" in my router setup. Not sure what else to try.

The settings I mentioned were properties of the wireless NIC.

Did you or can you try a wired connection?

novistafreek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I have the same problem.

Like you, I am using XP with servicepack 3. Used a hole day searching for a solution. Found a lot for Win Vista, tried them all, but nothing worked.

My problems started 3 weeks ago. I reinstalled my wireless networks card. At the same time I upgraded my antivirus program (mcAfee). After that VPN did not work. I even "lost" the TCP/IP protocoll, resulting in av reinstallation of XP.

Hope anyone out ther have a solution, because this is frustrating.....

novistafreek
Level 1
Level 1

Hi again.

Thought i should tell you i fixed the problem. I had an old USB wireless network card lying aroud and after installing that, everything worked.

In other words, the problem might be your networkcard.

I hooked up the cable modem right to the computer. I still get this error  reason:442 failed to enable virtual adapter.

I don't have an extra network card. I am using the one that's on the motherboard.

Your last test is using a wired connection to the cable modem and you are able to access the Internet outside of the VPN client? 

If you are using a separate firewall product, you may want to try uninstalling that just to rule out any conflict with the VPN client.  I have had some quirky problems with my Trend Micro software working with other applications.  I would uninstall and reinstall the VPN client after I uninstalled the firewall.

You may also want to try a newer version of the VPN client if you are not already using the newest version, just to rule out a problem in an older version of code.  I don't see any bugs related to virtual adapter problems in XP, but maybe someone using the combination of SP3 with an older version of the VPN client has not reported this problem.

If this is a laptop, have you tried connecting with VPN at another location, just to rule out a problem with your Internet connection?

Here is a URL dscribing how to manually uninstall the VPN client.  Sometimes there are vestiges of an old client or registry settings that the current client does not like.  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/sw/secursw/ps2308/products_tech_note09186a0080094b7f.shtml

Once the manual uninstall is completed, I'd run through the steps to re-create the TCP stack and repair the wired NIC, assuming that is what you are currently using.  Make sure there is no firewall or filtering associated with that NIC.

HTH

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: