cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

First Cisco VoIP project

notashamed220
Level 1
Level 1

Although I have been working with Cisco devices for 10+ years, this is the first time I have been asked to set up a VoIP system.

Long story short, this has been dumped into my lap. I was told to figure out how to set up a small room with 10 Cisco 7911 phones, a 2960 24 port PoE switch and a 7825-I4 server. Pulled the server out of the box today and there is no software loaded on it and no directions, but it did have a DVD box with different disks. That's all I have. One server, one switch and 10 phones. Do I even have everything I need to get this up and running? These 10 phones will all be in the same room and will only talk to each other, they will not be connected to any other phone system and will not be connected to the outside world. There is also no need for voicemail. If I do have enough equipment, is there a configuration guide out there anywhere that can help me figure this out?

I just need these 10 phones to talk to each other, that's all.

I would appreciate any help or direction.

Thanks!

- Tired . . .

1 Reply 1

William Bell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

What disks did you have in the box?  Cisco uses the MCS servers for various products and they can be ordered preloaded or with the software provided separately.  You can also order the "bare metal" versions with no software.  So, you would need to check what is stamped on DVDs that came with the server to determine what your actual situation is.

Also, with or without software you will need at least one CUCM node license and DLUs for the phones.  Cisco will usually ship what is called a Product Activation Key (PAK) along with the phones and with the software.  Assuming you purchased software and the appropriate licenses.  Look for a white shipping envelope (cardboard and thin).  The PAKs are simply numbers on a sheet of paper.  Easily misplaced.

If you find the PAK, then you can go to http://www.cisco.com/go/license and complete the form.  You provide the MAC address of the server (stamped on the outside of the chassis) and the PAK codes.  In a few hours you will receive an email with the appropriate license files.

So, if you have the software and the license files then it is a matter of booting the server off of the provided disk and following the installation guide for the product you are installing.  Search on CCO for "Communications Manager Installation Guide" and look for your target version in the results.  There are several pre-requisite items that you may want to have in place, like a NTP server for instance.  I highly recommend reading through the install guide before flipping discs.

HTH.

Regards,
Bill

Please remember to rate helpful posts.

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: