cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Catalyst 3750 - split traffic to 2 ISP's

yeahforbes
Level 1
Level 1
I have a Catalyst 3750-48TS linking my off-campus house to a campus network. We're getting a second ISP (FiOS) and I'd like to set up policy-based routing so that traffic to campus hosts (known IP address range) goes to the off-site campus gateway, and FiOS is used for all other Internet connections since it is faster.
All stations currently authenticate with the campus DHCP server using 802.1x, and hopefully that would not have to change (e.g., hopefully we don't need NAT for campus connections). Can the C3750 redirect WAN traffic to the residential FiOS router even from stations that have acquired their IP address from the campus DHCP?
Thanks,
Mike
4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mike,

PBR is supported on a C3750

under the following conditions:

a) >> To use PBR, you must have the IP services image  installed on the stack master.

b) >> To use PBR, you must first enable the routing  template by using the sdm prefer routing global  configuration command. PBR is not supported with the VLAN or default  template. For more information on the SDM templates, see "Configuring  SDM Templates."

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swiprout.html#wp1210866

so you need the appropriate image and the correct SDM template

note: if you need to change the SDM template you need to reload the device for the change to be effective

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750/software/release/12.2_44_se/configuration/guide/swsdm.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

johnnylingo
Level 5
Level 5

This is pretty easy.

1. Set a static route to the Internal Addresses via the existing gateway
  2. Bring up the connection to the new ISP
  3. Configure NAT
  4. Set a Default route to the Internet ISP

The one thing you might want to consider is failover.   If the new ISP is down, you'll want to failover to the old gateway.   I'm thinking IP SLA monitoring for this.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
I have a Catalyst 3750-48TS linking my off-campus house to a campus network. We're getting a second ISP (FiOS) and I'd like to set up policy-based routing so that traffic to campus hosts (known IP address range) goes to the off-site campus gateway, and FiOS is used for all other Internet connections since it is faster.
All stations currently authenticate with the campus DHCP server using 802.1x, and hopefully that would not have to change (e.g., hopefully we don't need NAT for campus connections). Can the C3750 redirect WAN traffic to the residential FiOS router even from stations that have acquired their IP address from the campus DHCP?
Thanks,
Mike

Hi Mike,

As suggested by Giuseppe you need to have  IP services image  installed on the stack master and check out the below link for configuration PBR in switches via cli.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst4500/12.2/25sg/configuration/guide/pbroute.pdf

Hope to Help !!

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh.H

Thanks for the great advice for a first timer here. The failover suggestion is definitely key in this operation and I hope we can make it work. If anything it will be the institute's networking guys helping with all of this since I'm not used to working with pro gear. If any of the instructions so far would be supported by additional things to check for (don't know if we could run into snags), feel free. Also, if we need something to keep the FiOS connection off limits everywhere outside the house, yet also accessible on our 3 APs which share SSIDs with the rest of campus for hand-offs. Don't want user specificity though: anybody connected at our house can use FiOS.

Best regards.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: