cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7962 IP Phone Firmware upgrade

marramix01
Level 1
Level 1

I would like to upgrade a 7962G to a more updated  firmware version. I am not able to find documentation on how to upload the file to CUCM 7.1 and perform the upgrade only to one or two phones, before deploying the new firmware to rest of the phones. 7962 phones in our enviroment are on firmware SCCP42.8-4-3S.  Does anyone know where to find some documentation about this? Thanks.

Marramix

5 Replies 5

Aaron Harrison
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

I would first question why you would want to do this? Do you have a problem to fix?

Typically your phone firmware is upgraded when you update CCM, or if you install the latest device pack (which will update most/all phone types in one package).

If you can find a download of firmware for your phone in .cop.sgn format, you can install this on your CCM. Before doing this, note the current firmware on your server (from Device/Device Settings/Device Defaults in CCMAdmin). When you install the .cop.sgn firmware, it will likely update this field to a new version, and this causes the new load file to be written to the phone config files.

You can change this back to the old version which should still be on your TFTP server, and the phones will continue to use that version.

You can then put the new version name in the 'Phone Load' field of the individual phone configuration and it will download that version.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Just to add on to Aaron's Post, if you have multiple servers you are going to need to upload this to the Publisher and the server that is your TFTP server as this file will not replicate across your cluster.  When you do upload this, it will change your device defualt load you will have to roll that back under device defaults.  I found this article helpful.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a0080a277a3.shtml

Hope that helps.

Jonathan Schulenberg
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You do not need to upload the .cop.sgn file and install it on your cluster if all you are doing is testing a few phones. You can selectively point phones at a custom TFTP server and specify an alternate firmware version.

1. Download and install TFTPD32 on a workstation.
  2. Download the firmware version you want in the ZIP file format. The only difference between the ZIP and COP.SGN files is how they are packaged. The firmware within is identical. Uncompress this into the root of whatever path TFTPD32 is sharing.
  3. Log into UCM Administration and find the phone you want to modify. On the Device configuration, set the following two fields:
    1. Phone Load Name:  This is the filname of the .LOADS file you extracted, minus the .LOADS extension. Example: "SCCP70.8-4-4S"
    2. Load Server: This is the IPv4 address of the TFTPD32 workstation.
  4. Save the changes and then reset the phone. It will attempt to pull the different firmware from the address you specified.
  5. CLEAN UP: When you are done, clear these two fields to avoid confusion the next time you update UCM. Even if you decide this firmware is stable and you are going to install the .cop.sgn format to all of the cluster TFTP servers, you should clear these two fields on the individual phones.

Thanks to everyone for assisting. I tried Johnathan's directions and that did it. Awesome job.  Thanks again!

We are using UCM 7.1 and I can't find the Load server option. Any idea where this option went?

I'm having issues with a few 7960 phones that have are working then just drop like flies with an on screen error "TFTP file not found".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: