How do we size bandwidth at Hub location in hub-spoke MPLS VPN enviornment.
For the companies I have worked for there has been no hard and fast rules on how to size the link to the hub.
The most important factor has been cost and so therefore the answer has been the lowest possible without adversely impacting the user experience. As a result the hub connection during peak periods can become oversubscribed. The challenge then comes to make the best possible use of this limited bandwidth.
Other factors to consider in addition to my previous post
- Get feedback from the business units as to what their expectations are for performance for accessing applications over a WAN.
- Develop a QoS policy that will give priority to mission critical applications on congested links.
- Will the spokes share an Internet connection through the hub? If so pay close attention to non-corporate use of the Internet that can flood your links.
- How are SOE updates deployed by the desktop team over the wire? Often it has been my experience that this is done in the middle of the day rather than after hours and so adversely impacting bandwidth to remote links.
- What are the future plans for growth of the company?
- What is the mail policy for your company? For example is the maximum size to mail attachments, eg 10 Mb?
Please rate posts that are helpful.
All ratings help fund the Haiti Earthquake appeal