Views
Helpful
Replies

Hub location bandwidth Sizing

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

How do we size bandwidth at Hub location in hub-spoke MPLS VPN enviornment.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Vicky,

For the companies I have worked for there has been no hard and fast rules on how to size the link to the hub.

The most important factor has been cost and so therefore the answer has been the lowest possible without adversely impacting the user experience. As a result the hub connection during peak periods can become oversubscribed. The challenge then comes to make the best possible use of this limited bandwidth.

Other factors to consider in addition to my previous post

- Get feedback from the business units as to what their expectations are for performance for accessing applications over a WAN.

- Develop a QoS policy that will give priority to mission critical applications on congested links.

- Will the spokes share an Internet connection through the hub? If so pay close attention to non-corporate use of the Internet that can flood your links.

- How are SOE updates deployed by the desktop team over the wire? Often it has been my experience that this is done in the middle of the day rather than after hours and so adversely impacting bandwidth to remote links.

- What are the future plans for growth of the company?

- What is the mail policy for your company? For example is the maximum size to mail attachments, eg 10 Mb?

Thanks

Please rate posts that are helpful.

All ratings help fund the Haiti Earthquake appeal

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sean_evershed
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

It's open ended question. Can you provide some more information?

- Is your question from a service provider or a customer point of view?

- If it is from a customer point of view how many people will be at each spoke location?

- Will there be any WAN optimisation used such as WAAS or Riverbeds?

- What applications will be used like VOIP, file shares etc?

Thanks Sean,

this is customer point of view

-application are data application say ERP/SAP

-No WAN optimization.

we can say there are 5 people at each 5 location.

Infact I want to know is there any guideline for MPLS bandwidth sizing and what are the fctors to be considered here.

thanks again

Vicky,

For the companies I have worked for there has been no hard and fast rules on how to size the link to the hub.

The most important factor has been cost and so therefore the answer has been the lowest possible without adversely impacting the user experience. As a result the hub connection during peak periods can become oversubscribed. The challenge then comes to make the best possible use of this limited bandwidth.

Other factors to consider in addition to my previous post

- Get feedback from the business units as to what their expectations are for performance for accessing applications over a WAN.

- Develop a QoS policy that will give priority to mission critical applications on congested links.

- Will the spokes share an Internet connection through the hub? If so pay close attention to non-corporate use of the Internet that can flood your links.

- How are SOE updates deployed by the desktop team over the wire? Often it has been my experience that this is done in the middle of the day rather than after hours and so adversely impacting bandwidth to remote links.

- What are the future plans for growth of the company?

- What is the mail policy for your company? For example is the maximum size to mail attachments, eg 10 Mb?

Thanks

Please rate posts that are helpful.

All ratings help fund the Haiti Earthquake appeal

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

Many thanks buddy

regards

Vinay

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card