wIPS Question

Answered Question
Mar 26th, 2010

I am evaluating WCS/MSE.  When I try to add a wIPS profile it lets me create one, add an SSID and then manipulate and save the wIPS signatures.  However, when I click next after the sig page it says no MSE/Controllers found even though I have both added and properly sync'd with each other.  Has anyone had this problem before?  Is it potentially a licensing issue?  Any help would be appreciated.  Oh and I have the wIPS checked for the MSE in the Mobility Services tab and have set an AP to monitor mode even though it did not give me the wIPS option.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by sschmidt about 6 years 8 months ago

Ok it looks like you need at least a 5.2 WLC code for wips.  The actual feature was not added until 5.2.157.0 which is why the supported version shows 5.2.2.0.  If the feature was added into 5.2.157.0 it would show in these early nightly builds.  The release notes for controller code 5.2.157.0 show wips as a new feature.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
sschmidt Fri, 03/26/2010 - 07:37

What do you show for the admin status if wIPS here for the MSE in question?

Services >                         Mobility Services > System >                            General Properties

Is Admin Status checked and Service status up?

What does this "Administration > License Center > Summary > MSE Summary" show for limit, count and unlicensed count?

dhopper82 Fri, 03/26/2010 - 08:24

The admin status is UP and the licensing is for 20 (its an eval license).  None of which are used.  Question, when I went into the AP configuration it did not have the wIPS checkbox (I had taken the radio off of admin status).  I am currently running 4.2.207.0 on the controller (and therefore the AP's) and 6.0.170 on the WCS.  Would I need to upgrade my controller/ap's to make this work?

sschmidt Fri, 03/26/2010 - 08:44

If you drill down on WCS to the AP is it in monitor mode?

dhopper82 Fri, 03/26/2010 - 08:56

Yes, in the WCS it is showing as a monitor.  I checked the WLC just to be sure and it is also showing the AP as a monitor.

sschmidt Fri, 03/26/2010 - 09:12

Weird.  I can not recreate it but I'm using 6.x all around.

Go to Administration > Logging and uncheck Status Polling, Object
Manager, Configuration, SNMP Mediation, MSE/Location Servers, XML
Mediation, Navigator, Reports and Database Administration and change the
message level to TRACE and click submit.  Go back and recreate the issue
and then go back to the logging area and download the logs.

Check the WCS-0-0.log for a similar line to this and post it:

3/26/10 12:04:04.144 TRACE[general] [86] ===== WipsProfileCommonActionHelper ===== : getControllerListFromWcs: Controller version:  6.0.196.0 , Supported version:  5.2.2.0

I'm trying to see what yours says.  I'd like to see if it still says 5.2.2.0 or a 4.2 version in your case.

Correct Answer
sschmidt Fri, 03/26/2010 - 10:06

Ok it looks like you need at least a 5.2 WLC code for wips.  The actual feature was not added until 5.2.157.0 which is why the supported version shows 5.2.2.0.  If the feature was added into 5.2.157.0 it would show in these early nightly builds.  The release notes for controller code 5.2.157.0 show wips as a new feature.

dhopper82 Fri, 03/26/2010 - 11:11

That sounds correct.  Thanks I'll do that and see if it fixes the issue.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics - Security & Network