Views
Helpful
Replies

UC560 License Transfer for RMA unit

david
Level 1
Level 1

I just got an RMA UC560 and I need some guidance:

1.  How do I xfer the license from the bad UC560 to the new RMA UC560.

2.  Do I need to xfer the license before restoring the configuration?

3.  I got a backup of the configuration of the bad UC560 and need to load to the new unit so I did a backup on version 8.0.1 and I need to restore to the new unit.  The new unity has version 8.0.0 will the restore work? (I tired and I had a lot of problems such as pinging 192.168.10.1 did not work)

4.  UC560 version 8.0.2 is the only version available online version 8.0.1 is not and I have a backup from version 8.0.1 so if I update the RMA UC560 to version 8.0.2 can I successfully Restore from the UC560 running the 8.0.1?

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

To answer question 1, it depends.  If you have the old box still in your possession and it is still working (you still have CLI access and CCA still works), you can use the transfer license tool.  If the box isn't there, you can to an RMA rehost at http://www.cisco.com/go/licensing

For question 2, I would apply the license before restoring the configuration, or activate the temp license if the other license isn't immediately available.

For question 3, the restore should work since the versions have the same feature set.  I would go with 8.0.2 and then do the restore.

For question 4, yes, you should be able to do that.  8.0.1 to 8.0.2 is only an IOS upgrade.

View solution in original post

Not applying the license before restoring (whether it is a permanent on or a temporary one) could lead to some phones not able to register. Make sure you apply the license first.

Thanks,

Marcos

In CCA, you can go to Maintenance -> License Management.  You should have button on the device that then says Action. 

You should be able to transfer the license from there.

Yes, the effect on the license is immediate.  If this is the case, install the eval license on the replacement unit first.  Then you can do the license transfer as a last step.

8 Replies 8

Steven Smith
Level 7
Level 7

To answer question 1, it depends.  If you have the old box still in your possession and it is still working (you still have CLI access and CCA still works), you can use the transfer license tool.  If the box isn't there, you can to an RMA rehost at http://www.cisco.com/go/licensing

For question 2, I would apply the license before restoring the configuration, or activate the temp license if the other license isn't immediately available.

For question 3, the restore should work since the versions have the same feature set.  I would go with 8.0.2 and then do the restore.

For question 4, yes, you should be able to do that.  8.0.1 to 8.0.2 is only an IOS upgrade.

Not applying the license before restoring (whether it is a permanent on or a temporary one) could lead to some phones not able to register. Make sure you apply the license first.

Thanks,

Marcos

Where do I get the:

" transfer license tool"

I do have both systems on line but I do not use the same CCA to administrater them.  One is administrated with a CCA at the customer site and I remote Desk Top into it.  The other is a laptop running on our test bench here in the shop

In CCA, you can go to Maintenance -> License Management.  You should have button on the device that then says Action. 

You should be able to transfer the license from there.

Thanks, I see it.

If I transfer fron a live unit in service to a unit on the bench will it kill the phones at the customer site?

Yes, the effect on the license is immediate.  If this is the case, install the eval license on the replacement unit first.  Then you can do the license transfer as a last step.

Similar question,

We have a customer who is wishing to buy 2 x UC560 boxes, one as a primary and one as a standby (cannot get a 4 hour replacement on the hardware in the UK, or at least I cant find a part number for it anywhere... bring back the uc520 style smartnet on the uc560 cisco!!). Only one system will be active at a time. The customer wants to transfer the extra user licenses from the primary to the standby in the event of primary failure (assume the box is completely dead). How would they do this? How long would this take?

Hello Christopher,

did you find a solution for your szenario ? I have a customer with the same setup: they have an active UC560 with full license for all users and a spare UC560 with interfaces but with only 16 ussers licensed.

In case a a failure of the active maschine how do I get the license transfered ? The customer has no support contract.

Just contact licensing at cisco ? 

Within the cisco licensing tool I need a RMA number for the rehosting process ...

any hints ?

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: