Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N + super high speed WAN (25Down/7Up) + IPS

kustomtek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

We've had the WRVS4400N router for over a year now and with the exception of a lack of firmware / IPS updates since cisco took over small business, I think it's been a great mini tank.

Recently we changed our Internet Service Provider, to a faster vDSL service which gives us 25 mbps downloads and 7 mbps upload. When the service was installed i connected the modem directly to a computer and was getting the advertised 25/7 speeds. Once i connected the modem to the router and tested the speed over a ethernet connection, the pings were approx 10ms higher and the download speed was approx 17mbps,  upload speed stayed the same.

After going though all the features i found that when the IPS was turned off the speeds were restored. When i looked back at the specs it says the router securtity can handle something like 800mbps. so i'm a little confused, but i'm guessing the CPU can't actually process using the IPS at 25mbps, or is there something i'm missing?

Please let me know if there any information you'll need to help diagnose this problem.

As off current the IPS is disabled, but the IPS is a considerable feature of this router and i would like to re-enable, and also beable to get the advertised ISP speeds.

Thanks,

1 Reply 1

rwagner
Level 1
Level 1

I have heard from several people that the WRVS4400N loses 4-6mbs on average.  Your losing 8mbs which is higher than most.  The nutshell of what I am trying to say is that you may want to look at getting a non-linksys product.  Throwing the Cisco label on it hasn't improved the product line and your issue is common, but I don't know of anyone who has resolved the issue.

Also check out this link.  There is a cisco employee here that puts the issue in nicer words and then recommends doing what you did to resolve speed loss.

https://www.myciscocommunity.com/message/41700;jsessionid=279DE85DB29BE7E05493DDB31955E63B.node0

Cisco is currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.