Views
Helpful
Replies

Design queries

sateeshk10
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have cisco switches as core  and HP 3500 as access  layer..Now here are the my querires..

1) Which is the best spanning tree to run on both the switches(cisco & HP)

Also I am using ciso as Access switches(stack)..How OR from which switch need to extend the uplinks  to CORE1 AND CORE2..

ex:

3 switches are connected in stack and acting as acess layer..I need full reduncy for this stack..

Can i extend two cables from first switch to CORE1 and last switch(4\3th) to CORE2..its ryt design? deisgn attached..

One more thing is there any rule in cisco that  from master switch (stck) extended cables to CORE SWITCH?

Regards

kumar

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Kumar,

being a multivendor environment the best choice is MST 802.1s.

you should verify that both type of devices support it.

Be also aware that some older IOS images can run a pre-standard version called MSTP that is Cisco proprietary

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12.2SX/configuration/guide/spantree.html#wp1098388

about how to connect the stack to core switches:

Ideally you should connect each single switch with one link to core1 and one link to core2.

if the HP stack supports etherchannels spanning over mutiple stack members as it happens for Cisco C3750, you can build two bundles:

bundle1 of 3 links, bundle 2 of 3 links

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi,

Thanks for your response..

about how to connect the stack to core switches(cisco 3750 only)

Ideally you should connect each single switch with one link to core1 and one link to core2. --- Means, let aasume i ahve 3 swtiches are in stack so, I need to connect from single switch with one/two links to core1 and one link to core2(total six connections ryt)? or Can i do it as attached..

Regards

kumar.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card