cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

new blade not recognized...

davisr651
Level 1
Level 1

I recently added 2 more 48-port  gigbit blades in my Cisco 4510R switch chassis, which is now maxed.. the blade in slot 8 is recognized no problem, but the blade in slot 9 is not....

to rule out the blade being the issue, i removed the blade from slot 8  where it was working, and put in slot 9, and still did not work...

any ideas?

thanks

rob davis

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Davisr,

Do a "sh pow avai"

It will show you how much you are using and how much left to use

HTH

Reza

View solution in original post

Rob

The sup V-10GE has 2 x 10Gbp uplinks on the supervisor. It also increases the available switching fabric which is why you can run all linecards in slot 10.

Jon

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

davisr651 wrote:

I recently added 2 more 48-port  gigbit blades in my Cisco 4510R switch chassis, which is now maxed.. the blade in slot 8 is recognized no problem, but the blade in slot 9 is not....

to rule out the blade being the issue, i removed the blade from slot 8  where it was working, and put in slot 9, and still did not work...

any ideas?

thanks

rob davis

Rob

A bit more detail might help.

Which supervisor and which blade ?

Jon

bear with me,  im new to cisco switching...

supervisor ?...... it has 2 supervisor V in it......   is this what you are asking?........

also,

i added 2 48-port gigbit modules in the last to available slots 8, and slot 9

hope this helps....

Rob

The 4510R with sup V does have limitations as to which module can be run in slot 10 but not 8 or 9.

Couple more questions -

1) do you have these modules already in the chassis ie. the 2 new modules, are they the same type as existing modules you have in the chassis ?

2) i need the specific module type eg. WS-X4418-GB would be a module part number. Run "sh module" on the switch to get the part numbers

3) when you moved the module from slot 8 to slot 9 was slot 8 empty ?

4) do you have a module in slot 10 ?

Jon

slot 1 &  2 contain theWS-x4516 supervisor engine V

slot 3 WS-X4506-GB-T 6 fiber/ethernet module

slot 4  WS-X4548-GB-RJ45 48-port10/100/1000 Base-T modue

slot 5  same as slot 4

slot 6  same as slot 4

slot 7 WS-X4148-RJ 48 port 10/100

slot 8  same as slot 7

slot 9 WS-X4548-GB-RJ45

slot 10  empty  (this is where i put the 2nd new module which was not recognized, and is the same as what is in slot 9)

so, yes  i gave you wrong information... slot 9 and 10 i was trying to populate with new modules ... not 8 and 9......

and slot 10, does read next to it... Flex-slot... what does that mean?

rob

Rob

That's your problem. Slot 10 on the 4510R has restrictions with a Sup V in that it only supports a subset of linecards.

From Cisco doc on the 4510R chassis

=============================================

Slot 1 is reserved for the supervisor engine only, which provides switching, local and remote management, and switch-status monitoring. Slot 2 is reserved for a redundant supervisor engine only. Slots 3 through 9 are available for switching modules. When using a Supervisor Engine V, slot 10 is a flex-slot for use with the 2-port Gigabit Ethernet switching module (WS-X4302-GB) or the Access Gateway Module (WS-X4604-GWY) only. When using a Supervisor Engine V-10GE, any supported module may be used in slot 10.

=============================================

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Hi Rob,

Since the blade is good and since the switch if full with blades then make sure you have big enough power supplies to light up all 9 blades.

Use the Cisco Power calculater to make sure your power supplies are providing enough power for all the blades.

http://tools.cisco.com/cpc/

HTH

Reza

Hi Reza

Power issues was one of my thoughts as well hence question 3) from above. Rob said he removed it from 8 to put it in 9 but it's still worth checking.

By the way, how do you like the new navigation through forums, much better i think

Jon

Hi Jon,

Sorry, I did not see your post on time, because I was responding to the post at the same time you did (I think)

Any ways, I like the new navigation a lot.  The only issue I see right now is when I go from one forum to another, the security warning pups up and it is really annoying.  I have posted enough complains with Dan about varies issues with the site in the last few months and so I think, I can live with this one.

Cheers,

Reza

In answering the questions of the voltage, how do i obtain the input voltage from my switch?.... it reads on the front of the powers supplies :

100-240V

16-7A

50/60 Hz

Hi Davisr,

Do a "sh pow avai"

It will show you how much you are using and how much left to use

HTH

Reza

What a beautiful command.. ...:)....

to cool......

see attached...

Thank you , i will try this.....

Rob

Can you post the ouput of "sh module" from the switch when you have the module in slot 9 ?

Jon

i just posted the configuration .... notice i have you bogus information... slot 10 which is the last bottom slot not recognizing the 1gb module...

what were u saying about slot 10?....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card