Views
Helpful
Replies

FULL BGP Router from ISR 29xx series

David Kondicz
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have a small WISP network with 3,5 thousand customers. I hawe now around 250 Mbit /s internet connection . Will be possible to use ISR 29xx series router as FULL BGP router into internet exchange center for no more tha 800 Mbit/s internet routing? I want to rengister into RIPE for own IP addresses and I need a central BGP Router that will routes our AS with connectiviti from our country and international conectivity.

Cisco says for this solution i will use 7200 series but we have no money for this kind of solution

Thanx

David

9 Replies 9

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello David,

>>  FULL BGP router into internet exchange center for no more tha 800  Mbit/s internet routing?

as a minimum you would need a C7200VXR  with NPE-G2 with next move to a C7300.

it is true that new ISR G2 looks like to have enough memory to store a full BGP table (nowdays 310k routes)

but its cpu may be a bottle neck and the device can end up using a lot of cpu just to keep up the BGP sessions.

Also routing forwarding performance is an issue: 800 Mbps is behind ISR G1 and GE capabilities they are powerful branch routers not service provider edge devices.

However,

for putting the device in an IXC I would expect your device should receive customer routes of other ISPs connected to it not a full table.

the device can be enough for receiving a default route and a partial table but not for 800 Mbps.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Perhap a 3945 would do, however a 7200 G1 or G2 is more suited, and not more expensive.

If budget issues, look on the popular auction site.

The work-around solution is to get connection from an ISP that provide Ethernet connection (Cogent is an example).  You can then terminate this connection to a Dell 2950 server (RAID-1 2x300GB) with 12GB RAM.  By running OpenBSD with GateD, you can receive full BGP routing table on

this box without sweating.  GateD and OpenBSD is free while the server costs around 4k.

The work-around solution is to get  connection from an ISP that provide Ethernet connection (Cogent is an  example).  You can then terminate this connection to a Dell 2950 server  (RAID-1 2x300GB) with 12GB RAM.  By running OpenBSD with GateD, you can  receive full BGP routing table on this box without sweating.   GateD and OpenBSD is free while the server costs around 4k.

Expecially considering this is an official Cisco Forum, it would be better to keep DIY, PC-based "solutions" outside the discussion.

There is a few problems with PC based solution and with cisco, too.

We can t use PC based solution becouse in  IXC we can use only prestigious devices like Cisco and Juniper. ONLY Cisco or Juniper !

The next problem is the 72xx price. Slovak resellers price for this solution is around 28 000 USD. I think this is crazy! For us

We won t use eBay solution becouse we need high level of customer support for this device.

Any ideas?

What would be the real throughput for 2951 series if I use it only for full bgp + snmp monitoring. I think there is needed 1 GB memory if I am right.

David

"The next problem is the 72xx price. Slovak resellers price for this solution is around 28 000 USD. I think this is crazy! For us "

you asked for a "cisco" solution yet you do not have $$$ to implement :-(  The 7200 is a perfect solution yet you have no $$$ to implement it.

In case you're not aware, Juniper JNOS, is FreeBSD

I need a smart solution. What do you think, what will be the max throughput for full

BGP on 2951 series or 3945 series?

If you contact me at the address present in my prodile, I can suggest somethin.

In case you're not aware, Juniper JNOS, is FreeBSD

Plus a  enormeous amount of proprietary software and hardware that makes it a true Router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: