Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

I can't join LAP to WLC 5508 in difference subnet

i can't join LAP to WLC in difference subnet now i create 2 interface [management / ap-manager]

management : 192.168.1.1 / 24

ap-manager : 192.168.1.2 / 24 vlan 10

ap-manager2 : 192.168.2.2 / 24 vlan 11

ap-manager3 : 192.168.3.2 / 24 vlan 12

connect with core switch 3 interface [access port vlan same wlc]

or how create wlc interface for join with LAP please advise me or send capture screen for me to create all interface

Thank you for best support.

5 Replies 5

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Did you set us DNS, option 43 or prime the APs?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thank so much  George Stefanick
but i don't know DNS must be in wlc system because i was install wlc 1 vlan i use dhcp form switch l3 and don't use DNS can work but now it's doesn't same.
now i have external dhcp server [windows 2003]
please advice me about solutoin dns and dhcp option 43.i confuse about when i connect ap in vlan 11/12 ap don't get ip form dhcp server but clients and switch can get IP. Or i create interface on wlc incorrect ? or you have sample config to create interface on wlc for this solution
thank you for best support.

No worries lets start from the beginning.

You know you need to use option 43 or DNS to allow the APs to find the controller correct? Which one are you using?

If you are using option 43. Make sure that option is properly configure on the DHCP scope(s) being handed to the APs. Double check it to make sure.

Also what AP model and code are you running?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

thank you for best support George Stefanick but now i don't understand DNS for wlc and ap / dhcp option 43 i can read from document.could you provide config for this solution for wlc and switch for me. i think i can't config dhcp server because it's owner i don't have permission

now i use AP1252 + WLC 5508 and 1 glc-t

thank you for your support.

I created a video actually how to configure option 43 on my site.

http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-labs/2009/7/4/cisco-dhcp-option-43-configuration-nugget.html

So when you fire up an AP it goes through a few steps to find the controller.

1) It does a broadcast and if your APs are on the same VLAN as your apmangers/managment then she will connect

2) If it isnt on the sanme vlan it will attempt to reslove CISCO-LWAPP-CONTROLLER or CISCO-CAPWAP-CONTROLLER. This is where you would need to create an A-record in your DNS server and reslove it to your MANAGEMENT controller IP address

3) Also Option43. When your AP gets an IP address, you can add option 43 to the scope. Option 43 again tells the AP where to find the controller.

Now you can do a manual prime to these as well. Extend your managment vlan to a switch and have the APs join. Once they take the download and config they will know the controllers ip address. And then you can deploy them on different vlans and they will join ...

Does this make sense?

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card