Views
Helpful
Replies

Installing Unity 7 with Exchange 2007

JustForVoice_2
Level 4
Level 4

I need to install Unity 7 with Exchange 2007

The DVDs that I have received from Cisco contains Unity 2003 Message store.

How I can Install Unity 7 with Exchange 2007 and I have 2003 on Unity server.

Any body can advise me?

and is there any documnet contains the requirements for installation( what I should do on Exchange server)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

OAB is Offline Address Books. Follow the install guide or pass that

info to your Exchange admin and they'll know what that that equates to.

The script is generated for you and the install process will guide you

with a prompt on when to install it. Install guide has instructions

on how to run it or pass to your Exchange admin with those instructions.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

On Mar 28, 2010, at 5:09 PM, JustForVoice

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Tray Stoutmeyer
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

We use the Unity 5x installl guides for installing Unity 7x. Use the applicable guide for your type of environment here...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/prod_installation_guides_list.html

Read through it and it should answer your questions.

Tray

I am reading the document but I did not find all what I need and there is some ambiguous points, like

If you chose an Exchange 2007 server as the partner Exchange server, configure offline address books for Outlook 2003 and earlier regardless of which version(s) of Outlook your are using, or Cisco Unity will not function properly.

To Configure Exchange 2007 for Cisco Unity:

Step 1:     Log on to an Exchange 2007 server, and start Exchange Management Console.
Step 2:     In the console tree, click Microsoft Exchange.
Step 3:     In the result pane, click the Finalize Deployment tab.
Step 4:     In the Mailbox section, click Configure Offline Address Book (OAB) Distribution for Outlook 2003 and Earlier Clients.
Step 5:     Follow the procedures to create a public folder database and to configure the default offline address book.

shall I need to do this if all my users have outlook 2007

=======================================================

=======================================================

all what I need to know what is the difference between the installation of Unity with exchange 2003 and Installation with Exchnage 2007.

You answered your first question in the document portion you posted....

If you chose an Exchange 2007 server as the partner Exchange server, configure offline address books for Outlook 2003 and earlier *regardless of which version(s) of Outlook your are using*, or Cisco Unity will not function properly.

It says "regardless of which version(s) of Outlook you are using." so this would include Outlook 2007. Configure the OAB for Outlook 2003 no matter what.

The difference between Unity with Exchange 2003 and 2007 is documented in the guide. When the step comes for installing Exchange, that section talks about each version and what steps to take. As a general overview you still install Exchange 2003 support tools such as Exchange System Manager on Unity and you still run the Message Store Configuration Wizard but with Exchange 2007, the Message Store Configuration Wizard will generate a script to run in the Exchange Power Shell to make the Unity_servername and USBMS_servername and Eadmin accounts. With 2003, MSCW creates all that for you without needing to run any scripts on the Exchange.

Tray

Here are the questions I need you to answer:

1) If you plan on integrating with Exchange 2007, my assumption is that you are planning on a Unified Messaging deployment and you will be integrating with your CORPORATE (i.e., existing) Active Directory and Exchange 2007 environment.  Is that correct?  If not, and you are installing a standalone Unity messaging environment then my advice is to use Exchange 2003 as this will provide better ease of use in a standalone environment for you (I'll get to this point in more detail as I answer your questions).

2) Do you need to configure OAB for Outlook 2003 and Earlier Clients even if all of your users have Outlook 2007?  Yes.  I believe the actual setting in E2K7 may not read exactly as it is written here but the premise is the same which is why the statement "regardless of which versions of Outlook you are using" is included in the installation notes.

3) What is the difference between Unity with Exchange 2003 vs. Exchange 2007?

- With Exchange 2007, Unity cannot create mailboxes directly in Exchange due to permission restrictions.  All users and mailboxes must exist before you create a Unity subscriber.  Going back to #1, if you are doing a standalone environment then Exchange 2003 integration is easier from an adminstration perspective.  Unity can create AD users and mailboxes for you with Exchange 2003 but not with Exchange 2007.

- Expanding on your second question, even with Exchange 2007 the Exchange 2003 System Manager is installed on the Cisco Unity server because it includes the Microsoft messaging API (MAPI) that Unity uses to communicate with Exchange for addressing, sending, and retrieving messages. When using Exchange 2007 as the partner Exchange server for Cisco Unity, offline address books for “Outlook 2003 and earlier clients” should be configured regardless of which version of Outlook is being used or Cisco Unity will not function properly.

- If you are running a mixed environment of 2003 and 2007 Exchange servers, the Unity partner server must be an Exchange 2007 server.

- When you install Unity with Exchange 2007, you must run a script on the Exchange 2007 server during the installation.  This is a Power Shell script that creates the primary system accounts (3 of them) that Unity needs to operate because again, it cannot create mailboxes in an integration with Exchange 2007.

That's all the primary points.

Hailey

Thank you too much for your replies

I need to make Unified messaging setup. so I will  use the AD and Exchange for the corporate. (exchange 2007).

regarding question 2, I do not know what is OAB exactly. I just read it and I do not know if it is mandatory or no.( I will appreciate if you can give me a brief about it)

I just need to check if I understand you well regarding the script. during the installation Unity will generate script for me. I should take this script and apply it to exchange partner server ( please correct me if I am wrong)

OAB is Offline Address Books. Follow the install guide or pass that

info to your Exchange admin and they'll know what that that equates to.

The script is generated for you and the install process will guide you

with a prompt on when to install it. Install guide has instructions

on how to run it or pass to your Exchange admin with those instructions.

Hailey

On Mar 28, 2010, at 5:09 PM, JustForVoice

thank you and if I have any problem I will create new post

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: