Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch for internet

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi ,

I want to have an internet connection from a service provider.The bandwidth am looking for is 4-6 mbps .I would like to know can I use a cisco switch as CPE where Internet link (ethernet handoff) directly terminate ,if yes what would be the best suited series . I willl be using vpn tunnels also.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vicky,

>> ,if yes what would be the best suited series . I willl be using vpn  tunnels also.

for VPN tunnels and small amount of speed your best choice is a software based router like C2821 or better that have also a VPN HW module

A c6500 would need an additional service module and it is too expensive for this job.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi ,

I want to have an internet connection from a service provider.The bandwidth am looking for is 4-6 mbps .I would like to know can I use a cisco switch as CPE where Internet link (ethernet handoff) directly terminate ,if yes what would be the best suited series . I willl be using vpn tunnels also.

thanks

Hi Vicky,

Genrally saying cisco switches are best suited for lan envirnoment as your requriement is for internet facing traffic and cisco series 6500 series only supports natting functionality in switch series,series like cisco 3560 L3 series can be used but it lacks the natting funcationlaity as i said.so what i would suggest better to opt for router as internet facing devices with ISP.

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Great Ganesh,Thanks for your quick help!!!

thanks

Hi Ganesh,

Can you explain what lacking in NAT feature in 3560 L3 switches. Pls

Thanks,

Tamilvanan.S

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Vicky,

>> ,if yes what would be the best suited series . I willl be using vpn  tunnels also.

for VPN tunnels and small amount of speed your best choice is a software based router like C2821 or better that have also a VPN HW module

A c6500 would need an additional service module and it is too expensive for this job.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco