Replies

DWDM?

alsayed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

DWDM:support 80 chanels?what this mean?

CWDM:Support 8 channels?what this mean?

how the above being terminated?on both end?I Mean they need transponder on both end?

are they Single Mode in term of fiber?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Tom Randstrom
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When we refer to channels on a xWDM system, whether Coarse or Dense WDM, we are talking about the number of signals (wavelengths) that can be transmitted on a fiber.  A WDM system separates a single fiber into multiple lanes of light.  I.e., for an 8 channel CWDM system, 8 signal paths are available between site A  and Site B, typically using 2 optical fibers (one transmit and one receive).  The device that separates the fiber into multiple light paths and provides the user access (via optical connectors) is the optical multiplexer/demultiplexer. A different frequency specific optical signal is required for each of the wavelength paths.  A signal is inserted into the Multiplexer at one end and removed from the fiber at the far end using a Demultiplers.  These wavelength signals can be generated by transponders or a WDM compliant transceivers (such as SFP/GBIC/XENPACK/ETCs).

WDM systems typically operate over singlemode fiber.

Let me know if this helps and if you have additional questions.

Tom

thanks man

can u give me an example when the distance is 7 Km and the SMF is 6 pair,how we deal now in this situation

Thanks

Cisco Dense Wavelength-Division Multiplexing Small Form-Factor Pluggable Module
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/modules/ps5455/ps6576/product_data_sheet0900aecd80582763.html

Please don't forget to rate our posts.  Thanks.

I am not sure if this is what you were asking for, but I have attached a diagram outlining your example (MS Powerpoint).

Let me know if this helps or if you have additional questions.

Tom

Tom,Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco