cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

CUCM HUNG AND DISPLAYS THE MESSAGE "EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,6)) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted" IN CONSOLE

Hello,

I have a CUCM 7825 I4 with CUCM 6.1.2000-2 and sometimes the server goes to an undetermined state and I can't acces neither by console nor http, but I see this message in the console:  EXT3-fs error (device sd(8,6)) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted. I have to reboot the server for recover the server.

Anyone knows what the problem is?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Raul,

Review the notes and information here in this defect:

CSCsv49493            Bug Details

7828-H3 server goes down with Journal Aborted error
Symptom:
Phone services will go down, and server will  only be semi-responsive. Local console access will show the following  error constantly scrolling across the screen.
EXT3-fs error (device  sd(8,6)) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Conditions:
During  normal operation services will go down. Reboot will bring services back  up for a while, anywhere between a couple hours and a couple days. Seen  most frequently on MCS7828-H3-K9/BE but has been reported on  MCS7825-H2-IPC1 and MCS7825-H3. This defect is for the MCS7828-H3  servers only.

Workaround:
Shut down the server, and  remove the first hard drive until a final fix is available.
If server  still fails, try switching to the other drive. Watch during boot up for  any errors which might indicate hardware failure (SMART errors in  particular).
If server stills fails on 2nd drive, leave one drive in,  and reinstall CUCM.

Further Information
This issue was  tracked to a firmware problem on the hard drives. A firmware update is  available on cisco.com. Please download the readme and iso for  7828h3-hddfwupdate-v11 under the MCS 7828-H3 Unified Communications  Manager Appliance.
Direct link:
http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=Firmware&mdfid=281023410&sftType=Voice+Applications+OS+and+BIOS+Updates&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unified+Communications+Manager+Version+6.1&treeMdfId=27887524...

You may want to open a TAC case on this and verify if a firmware update is available for your specific model of server.  Highly likely you could be seeing this issue even though your hardware is not explicity "reported" in the conditions.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Raul,

Review the notes and information here in this defect:

CSCsv49493            Bug Details

7828-H3 server goes down with Journal Aborted error
Symptom:
Phone services will go down, and server will  only be semi-responsive. Local console access will show the following  error constantly scrolling across the screen.
EXT3-fs error (device  sd(8,6)) in start_transaction: Journal has aborted

Conditions:
During  normal operation services will go down. Reboot will bring services back  up for a while, anywhere between a couple hours and a couple days. Seen  most frequently on MCS7828-H3-K9/BE but has been reported on  MCS7825-H2-IPC1 and MCS7825-H3. This defect is for the MCS7828-H3  servers only.

Workaround:
Shut down the server, and  remove the first hard drive until a final fix is available.
If server  still fails, try switching to the other drive. Watch during boot up for  any errors which might indicate hardware failure (SMART errors in  particular).
If server stills fails on 2nd drive, leave one drive in,  and reinstall CUCM.

Further Information
This issue was  tracked to a firmware problem on the hard drives. A firmware update is  available on cisco.com. Please download the readme and iso for  7828h3-hddfwupdate-v11 under the MCS 7828-H3 Unified Communications  Manager Appliance.
Direct link:
http://tools.cisco.com/support/downloads/go/ImageList.x?relVer=Firmware&mdfid=281023410&sftType=Voice+Applications+OS+and+BIOS+Updates&optPlat=&nodecount=2&edesignator=null&modelName=Cisco+Unified+Communications+Manager+Version+6.1&treeMdfId=27887524...

You may want to open a TAC case on this and verify if a firmware update is available for your specific model of server.  Highly likely you could be seeing this issue even though your hardware is not explicity "reported" in the conditions.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

Yorick Petey
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Raul,

Did you fix this issue on your server?

I have exactly the same problem after an electric outage on our 7828-H3 business edition. It starts and 5 minutes after the CLI access, this message is displayed on the console.

I tried to start the FW upgrade tool for the disks, but the tool says the version of the disk is not the one expected.

Thank you for your feedback.

Yorick

Hi Yorick,

Finally I opened a case with cisco and Cisco opened a case with  IBM. The problem seem a Firmware problem with HD. I couldn't upgrade the firmware so  I had to replace both HD's in server and reinstall the CallManager.

Regards, Raul

Dears All;

I have the same problem but the electricity no outage, the problem repeated three time in this month, the problem resolved after reboot server,

can any one help me,

Hardware platform type7825I2
The CPU typeIntel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz
Memory4096 Mbytes

BR

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: