cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

iBGP with VSS

ken.lambert
Level 1
Level 1

All the best practices and whitepapers I have seen regarding Cisco's configuration of VSS on a 6500 series switch show EIGRP or OSPF for a internal routing protocol out to the distro switches connected to the core.  I would like to do iBGP instead.  Has anybody tried to do this before and/or is iBGP possible for a VSS configuration.  I am using 6509s and 3750s only, no third party switches directly connected to the core.  Thoughts and suggestions appeciated.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ken,

you should be able to use iBGP if you like.

Design documents have a focus on IGP because they are a common choice in data center/server farms.

They are examples but they do not represent all the possible scenarios.

clearly without implementing additional features iBGP convergence time is slower then that of EIGRP and OSPF.

This is the principal reason for going to an IGP in these contexts.

for example BFD for BGP can be supported on the VSS, but it may be not supported on C3750.

To make a comparison the use of sub-second OSPF hello timers should be supported on both VSS and C3750.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Ken,

you should be able to use iBGP if you like.

Design documents have a focus on IGP because they are a common choice in data center/server farms.

They are examples but they do not represent all the possible scenarios.

clearly without implementing additional features iBGP convergence time is slower then that of EIGRP and OSPF.

This is the principal reason for going to an IGP in these contexts.

for example BFD for BGP can be supported on the VSS, but it may be not supported on C3750.

To make a comparison the use of sub-second OSPF hello timers should be supported on both VSS and C3750.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you for the response Giuseppe.  I meant to close this out last week but I got side tracked.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card