cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LAN Extension

jfraasch
Level 3
Level 3

I am new to the ONS world. I have an installation at a customer site and I need to know if something is possible.

I would like to install my devices in a new site on the sonet ring and have them be part of the same network at another site.  Can I extend a LAN across the Sonet ring?

Basically this workstations will log into the same domain and will need to be able to see each othere.

Thanks!

James

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The best solution is to have different subnets at each site, and use regualr routing on routers.

The workstations will not have any problem in "seeing" each other and being in the same domain.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

It is "doable". But I agree that it is a sub optimal solution.

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is certainly achievable with the ONS equipment. As other posters alluded, you can do it via your existing routers (e.g., carry their WAN circuit(s) using the ONS's subscriber side interfaces). You could also do it by using Ethernet interfaces in the ONS and bridging the LANs in a bridge group. Which approach you take depends in part on your existing setup and in part on available ONS interfaces and time slots (bandwidth) available on the SONET ring.

If you are able to share more information about your current setup, we could give more specific suggestions.