CCIE advanced switching (STP) resources

Unanswered Question
Mar 29th, 2010

Does anyknow know of any good books or good URLs that go in depth on some advanced spanning tree topics.  Most books explain STP really well and how it works, but most dont have very many scenarios and complex/unusual scenarios.  Whereas Routing TCP/IP Vol 1,11 have excellent scenarios on basic and complex routing such as redistribution of 3 routing protocols on one router, although unlikely in the real world, it still helps understand the detailed operation of redistribution and some advanced features.

I havent taken the CCIE yet, however, I'm sure the STP section on the lab or written wont be simple.   I could easily see Cisco have PVST, MST, and CST all converge into one topology, have some links be trunked between them, and others just be access ports with certain vlans.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 0 (0 ratings)
tsmarcyes Mon, 03/29/2010 - 09:38

I know the LAN Switching is a great book on LAN Switching fundamentals; however, it is really outdated and doesn’t have the advanced scenarios I was looking for. Not only are the platforms severely outdated, but most of the commands use the old catOS commands and not IOS. I also didn’t see any info on MST or RSP. I don’t see any complex scenarios where you have some trunked links and some access links and how the forwarding/messages would occur. Or have two different STP protocols converging and how they would interact.

This Discussion