Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast packets Routing

Hi,

My issue is i have created two vlans in 4948 core switch one for servers and other for systems(users) . We have created access ports for server vlan in core switch itself and connected the servers in those ports and trunks have configured between coreswitches and access switches to be connected to users,and we have enabled intervlan routing .Now there are some users having software clients which need multicast updates from a particular server. But since all the servers and systems are in seperate vlans multicast packets are not coming to clients . can any one send me a configuration and  explain the same how to implement that for this kind of scenario.

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

hello Santosh,

on core 4948

conf t

ip multicast-routing

int vlan 10

desc servers

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

int vlan 20

desc clients

ip pim sparse-dense-mode

int loop1

ip address 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

ip pim sparse-mode

! previous ip should be advertised in routing protocols

ip pim rp address 10.1.1.1

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Cisco will donate $1 to  the Red Cross Haiti fund for every rated post!

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8727

here does that 10.1.1.1 refer to the multicast ip  address(example)  ?

because the server vlan is in 172.16.0.254 and users/system vlan is in 172.16.100.254 both /24 .

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Santosh

here does that 10.1.1.1 refer to the multicast ip  address(example)  ?

because the server vlan is in 172.16.0.254 and users/system vlan is in 172.16.100.254 both /24 .

With PIM sparse mode you need an RP (Rendevous Point). The recommendation is to use a loopback address. The loopback address can be any IP you want, Giuseppe just chose 10.1.1.1 as an example. The RP address does not need to be from either the server or client vlan.

Jon

Hope this works.

Thanks Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card