Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem on Cisco ASA 5510

fabrice.winsou
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a new cisco ASA 5510 that i have to configure for the first time. After setting my terminal emulator for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit, no flow control and connecting the appliance to my Pc with a console cable, i powered it on but nothing appears in the terminal emulator.

I need yourhelp please. Thanks.

6 Replies 6

fabrice.winsou
Level 1
Level 1

I just want to add something, i noted that when i change the speed value from 9600 bauds to 110 or 300 bauds, it seems to write something like a caracter but it doesn't continue.

Thanks.

Brandon Svec
Level 7
Level 7

I'm not sure why your console connection doesn't work, but a new ASA 5510 should come with the management port configured for DHCP.  It should give you something like 192.168.1.X (check ipconfig when you connect) then just open a web browser to 192.168.1.1 and use ASDM to get at your config.  Then you can always set up/verify console or SSH if you prefer to configure that way.

Here is the 'getting started' guide. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa83/getting_started/5500/guide/getstart.html

brandon

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

mohammedhabib
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I think you have to use the managment port to onnect and then re-configure the console comunecation speed to 9600 , it should work

Reg.

Unfortunately, when i connected my PC to the ASA with a crossed cable,  the management port of the ASA stayed shutdown. Then i can't connect to it.

I noted that there was a reset button behind the ASA. I pressed it longuely after a reboot in the hope that it would reset the equipement to the factory default but nothing happened. The situation is still the same. Is there another  way to do a reset please?

Thanks.

You don't want a crossover cable for PC to switchport.  Just use a regular straight cable.  Are your power/status/active lights green when you turn it on?

-- please remember to rate and mark answered helpful posts --

I used both crossover and straigh cable to connect to the ASA's management port but, nothing. Also when the appliance in powered on, only the LED   located beside the button power behind the device lights. The LED located in the front (power, status, active, vpn, flash) light and extinguish at the same time. None of them stay lighted.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card