cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Loopback Address Management

Robert Juric
Level 1
Level 1

I'm about to start implementing loopback interfaces and /32 addresses for monitoring and management purposes. My question is what to do about address management. If I assign /32 addresses to each device I can see my routing tables growing quite large, if I summarize them to a /24 and advertise one /24 per site would I not be wasting alot of addresses?

Say I have a site with 10 devices, each with /32 Loopback addresses, and then I summarize this as a /24 across the WAN, I'd be wasting alot of addresses that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I find it odd that something that feels pretty crucial, such as management of devices has hardly any published case scenarios or best practices. I can't find much information at all on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

robert.juric wrote:

I'm about to start implementing loopback interfaces and /32 addresses for monitoring and management purposes. My question is what to do about address management. If I assign /32 addresses to each device I can see my routing tables growing quite large, if I summarize them to a /24 and advertise one /24 per site would I not be wasting alot of addresses?

Say I have a site with 10 devices, each with /32 Loopback addresses, and then I summarize this as a /24 across the WAN, I'd be wasting alot of addresses that way.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle this? I find it odd that something that feels pretty crucial, such as management of devices has hardly any published case scenarios or best practices. I can't find much information at all on the subject. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Robert

Robert

If you are using private RFC 1918 addressing which i suspect you are then worrying about wasting addresses is nowhere near as important as if you were using public addressing.

Having said that there is nothing to stop you advertising a /25 or a /26 or a /27 etc.. So calculate the number of loopbacks you need per site and then choose the smallest subnet that will give you that many addresses eg. your site with 10 devices would need a subnet of 255.255.255.240 which gives you 14 useable addresses + broadcast.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

I see. I guess my coworkers have tried in the past to group our subnets by company division, which has left a lot of gaps in our schema. Trying to plan around this type of thinking has caused me a lot of headache. If we just contiguously assign addresses it would make life much more simple.

Thanks again Jon, you've been a great help lately.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card