cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 with lan lite

thecompwiz_cwr
Level 1
Level 1

I purchased 2 2960 (2960-24pc-s) switches based on the product literature here... and have discovered that the literature is either misrepresenting the product or my comprehension is lacking somewhat.

This document documents the features of the 2960 series switches with the lan lite software, and clearly states, "Shaped Round Robin (SRR) scheduling helps ensure differential prioritization of packet flows by intelligently servicing the ingress queues and egress queues." right under the Quality of Service header.  After attempting to configure the switch to limit the bandwidth using the srr-queue command, and discovering that the "srr-queue" does not exist in my switch... I turn to the manual to discover a simple 1-liner that throws a wrench into my plans.  "To use this command, the switch must be running the LAN Base image." 

If the product literature is wrong, what is Cisco going to do about it?  There is a $500 difference for the same switch with the lan base image... when all I need is to do exactly what the literature says the lan lite version does.

I must ask this simple question, Does this switch support srr-queuing on egress queues? or should I return it and go with a competitor's switch which does what I need for less money?

6 Replies 6

Gerald Vogt
Level 3
Level 3

See configuration guide.

EDIT: Fixed link.

thecompwiz_cwr
Level 1
Level 1

I would love to... however the page says "Forbidden File or Application."  Any chance you could attach it as a PDF or some such?

Well. You find everything on the cisco support page. This link should work.

I know how to configure QoS... and I've already torn through the manuals.  My point is, Cisco advertised this switch as supporting certain features, and it does not have them.  Can someone tell me why it does not have them, or perhaps what I am missing, or tell me that Cisco made a mistake, and I will simply return them.

The guide explains how to configure SRR with the lite image. What's the problem with that?

Gah... I naively assumed that a "Shaped Round Robin" (SRR) service would actually shape traffic... not just prioritize.  Apparently, it does not know how to actually shape outbound traffic. (honestly... who needs to be able to shape 26-ports of inbound traffic???)   I guess back to the vendor this switch goes.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Switch products supported in this community
Cisco Business Product Family
  • CBS110
  • CBS220
  • CBS250
  • CBS350
Cisco Switching Product Family
  • 350X
  • 550X