cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Converting SUB to PUB?

ktran-anet
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible? or is it still on one of the Cisco's "feature request" lists?

Any clarification from Cisco would be greatly appreciated.

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Do you have any proof to the contrary?

Feel free to try it...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

It's been talking for a while.  We were expecting it on CUCM 8.0.  But unfortunately it didn't make it.

Someone said it would be in 9.x.  But it's not "concept commit" yet, which means it could be dropped again.

Michael

This is unfortunately a thread from 2002 which was likely a 3x or 4x install where the application and OS were separate. Today they are heavily entangled within each other. To reinstall the CUCM software, you would need to install from DVD which reformats the hard drives and etc. Even if this was successful back in the day, I doubt it was a supported solution...but that's neither here nor there.

Hailey

Please rate helpful posts!

7 Replies 7

David Hailey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

It is not possible.

Thanks David and I do appreciate your response. However, do you happen to have any evidence to support your statement?

Do you have any proof to the contrary?

Feel free to try it...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

No contradiction here. Just looking for some proven evidence though. I know that many folks in this community said no but there was one person said yes.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/361442#361442

This is unfortunately a thread from 2002 which was likely a 3x or 4x install where the application and OS were separate. Today they are heavily entangled within each other. To reinstall the CUCM software, you would need to install from DVD which reformats the hard drives and etc. Even if this was successful back in the day, I doubt it was a supported solution...but that's neither here nor there.

Hailey

I would offer the pages and pages of SRND's for the various versions of CUCM and the design and installation guides that go along with them for you to read.  This is a basic tenant of the CUCM architecture.  Once a Publisher is installed, it is the primary node in the cluster for DB operations and other sub-system processes.  You could easily put in a TAC case and ask the same question of Cisco and quickly get an official response that matches what you got here.  There is no way to inherently flip the basic role a server provides within the cluster after it is built.  You can completely rebuild a server from scratch and designate it to be a Publisher.  If you consider that "converting a Sub to a Pub" then OK; however, the nature of your question is usually quite the contrary as folks are looking to quickly recover from a Publisher failure by designating another node in the cluster as the Publisher and it just doesn't work that way.  There are a LOT of really talented engineers on the forums including myself, William Bell, Aaron Harrison, Rob Huffman, HT Luo, TCat...the list goes on (I can't begin to name them all).  They can all vouch for my answer and the evidence is years and years of combined experience working with all facets of IP telephony and Unified Communications products.

In closing, I understand your question and why you might ask it - no issues there.  Will this be something you see in the future?  Maybe.  There's been a  lot of talk of having a backup Publisher model for years but it's never  happened.  So, in the meantime - things are what they are.

Hailey

htluo
Level 9
Level 9

It's been talking for a while.  We were expecting it on CUCM 8.0.  But unfortunately it didn't make it.

Someone said it would be in 9.x.  But it's not "concept commit" yet, which means it could be dropped again.

Michael

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: