Views
Helpful
Replies

CSS active/standby server loadbalancing

Paul_Le_Grange
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All

I have client that want to use the CSS to loadbalance only to thier active server and if that server fails then send requests to the standby server.

I have told them that using the CSS to acomplish this is not the best use of it functionallity but they want to do it anyway. Does anybody know how this can be done.

I know the CSS will send keepalives to the particular service to ensure it is available and was wondering if I could use these to detect the primary server failure and then start sending traffic to the secondary.

I do not want to loadbalance to both servers I only want to forward traffic to the secondary server if the primary fails.

Regards

Paul Le Grange

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

dario.didio
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

you can accomplish this by using a sorryserver.

configure you content rule, add your active service using "add service server1" and add you standby service (which will be only used when the active service goes down) using "primarySorryServer server2".

See the config guide for more info: http://www.ciscopress.info/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v7.40/configuration/content_lb/guide/contrule.html#wp1038009

HTH,

Dario

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

dario.didio
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

you can accomplish this by using a sorryserver.

configure you content rule, add your active service using "add service server1" and add you standby service (which will be only used when the active service goes down) using "primarySorryServer server2".

See the config guide for more info: http://www.ciscopress.info/en/US/docs/app_ntwk_services/data_center_app_services/css11500series/v7.40/configuration/content_lb/guide/contrule.html#wp1038009

HTH,

Dario

Hi Dario

This looks like exactly what I am looking for.

Thanks for your help.

Regards

Paul Le Grange.

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paul-

One way you could almost do it is to assign a high weight to the 'active' and a low weight to the 'passive' one.

Weight is a value assigned to an SP based on its ability to provide session processing. An active SP has a relative weight assignment greater than 0. A weight of 0 prevents the SP from performing any session processing.

service ldaps-server-1
  port 636
  redundant-index 1031
  ip address 10.10.201.127
  keepalive type none
  weight 10

service ldaps-server-2
   port 636
   redundant-index 1031
   ip address 10.10.201.128
   keepalive type none
   weight 1

Hope it helps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: