Views
Helpful
Replies

incoming Qos for Dialer interface

rafael_rung
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have an cisco 1802 with IOS 12.4(15)T12.

i configured CBWFQ for the outgoing direction of the dialer 0 interface and everything works fine.

but i have also a problem with too much traffic coming in on dialer 0 so i tried to configure a policing for http downlods, but it doesn't work.

the configuration looks like that:

class-map match-any QOS_HTTP_IN
match access-group name QOS_HTTP_IN

policy-map QOS_DSL_IN
class QOS_HTTP_IN
police 2048000
class class-default

interface Dialer0
description $internet connection over ADSL$
bandwidth 123
bandwidth receive 1234
ip address negotiated
ip mtu 1452
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
zone-member security out-zone
encapsulation ppp
dialer pool 1
dialer-group 1
no cdp enable
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username ....
max-reserved-bandwidth 99
service-policy input QOS_DSL_IN
service-policy output QOS_DSL_OUT

Router#show policy-map int dialer 0 input
Dialer0

Service-policy input: QOS_DSL_IN

Class-map: QOS_HTTP_IN (match-any)
      0 packets, 0 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: access-group name QOS_HTTP_IN
        0 packets, 0 bytes
        5 minute rate 0 bps
      police:
          cir 2048000 bps, bc 64000 bytes
        conformed 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
          transmit
        exceeded 0 packets, 0 bytes; actions:
          drop
        conformed 0 bps, exceed 0 bps

Class-map: class-default (match-any)
      100 packets, 4000 bytes
      5 minute offered rate 0 bps, drop rate 0 bps
      Match: any

and as you see there are just "100" packets seen on the incoming direction and i cleared the counters 30 minutes ago, so there must be several thousand packets for class-default.

i looked in several documentations, even in the QOS 2.3 stundent guide.

The "Cisco IOS Quality of Service Solutions Configuration Guide, Release 12.4" writes under "Using Multilink PPP over Dialer Interface Links"  a sample configuration which contains a service-policy input command on an dialer interface, so i think this should be supported??

Another idea was to put this service-policy input to the Fastethernet 0 interface, where the ADSL modem is connected, but the service-policy also only matches some packets, this could be because PPPoE is no IP and therefore isn't seen.

My last idea is to put it in the vlan interface as incoming, but i think this is not the right place for a Qos policy...

any ideas how i can handle this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

The last time I checked - you cannot apply a QoS policy on an inbound WAN interface. Just because the IOS give you the option - does not mean it will work.

If you have to much traffic coming from another site - then apply the QoS policy on the ISDN outbound direction from that site..

HTH>

Andrew

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

The last time I checked - you cannot apply a QoS policy on an inbound WAN interface. Just because the IOS give you the option - does not mean it will work.

If you have to much traffic coming from another site - then apply the QoS policy on the ISDN outbound direction from that site..

HTH>

Andrew

You may be able to class the bandwidth going outbound

on the LAN interface.

Hey, Thank you for the quick answers.

@AndrewPrince: well your right not everything works that is avaliable within the IOS. but this doe's i updatet to IOS 15.1.1 and it works.
i now have several other things that don't work any more(firewall rules and so on), but the input policing for the dialer interface works. i didn't get it to work with an access-list, but it works with nbar classification.

to put the Qos policy in the outside direction on the other side isn't possible as i have no access to my isp's routers

@dialerstring: thanks for the hint but it didn't work because of two things:
1. the port has just a Layer2 configuration (is accessible via the vlan interface)
2. i need one policer for all incoming http traffic, if i do it on the port i have 8 policers

Sorry I couldn't help but let us know what you decide in end!

@DialerString: i just did that if you look the post above.

what type of device are you doing this on?

@Andrew Prince: As mentioned above i'm using a cisco 1802 router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card