cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Question on testing failover - production

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Imagine I setup BGP between 4507 and ISP.

Then once BGP config is in place, I want to take 4507A out of the picture and make sure traffic flows thru the 4507B as per design and I record time it takes to failover to 4507B.

Question:
What is the best way to 'take the 4507A' down in this case? Do you physically power cycle the device or would you just access the 4507A via console port and shut all ports for example? Please let me know your approach.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

news2010a wrote:

Then once BGP config is in place, I want to take 4507A out of the picture and make sure traffic flows thru the 4507B as per design and I record time it takes to failover to 4507B.

Question:
What is the best way to 'take the 4507A' down in this case? Do you physically power cycle the device or would you just access the 4507A via console port and shut all ports for example? Please let me know your approach.

Marlon

Assuming you are doing this out of core production hours

Best way is to simply shut the port(s) down that connect to the ISP and then you should see it failover to the other 4500.

Edit - reason i suggest shutting down ports rather than rebooting the switch is that you may have clients attached to 4507A that should still be able to get out via the interconnect to 4507B.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

news2010a wrote:

Question:

Marlon

Assuming you are doing this out of core production hours

Best way is to simply shut the port(s) down that connect to the ISP and then you should see it failover to the other 4500.

Edit - reason i suggest shutting down ports rather than rebooting the switch is that you may have clients attached to 4507A that should still be able to get out via the interconnect to 4507B.

Jon

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Definitely during maintenance window. Thanks.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card