I get hundreds of records like :

Port Identity: PortID = 1024

AttributeType of ChangeTime Change DetectedPrevious ValueCurrent Value
Port Serial NumberNew2010-03-31 03:04:15.69
Manufacturer NameNew2010-03-31 03:04:15.69

or

IfEntry Identity: IfEntryID = 1

Last ChangedChanged2010-03-31 03:04:28.962009-06-19 13:32:19.7832009-06-19 13:32:24.043

or

Port Identity: PortID = 1058

Port Serial NumberNew2010-03-31 03:30:59.24 H11F907
Manufacturer NameNew2010-03-31 03:30:59.24

What is the meaning, and where does that changes come from and are they useful, cause no changes were performed ?

I guess this is not really significant, and I tried to filter them wtih the inventory change filter, which was unsuccessfull. Could you advise how I can filter them ?

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I'm not sure about why the first value changed.  My guess is that a port was added to this device.  To filter this, check the boxes next to:

Port:Port Serial Number

Port:Manufacturer Name

The second one is quite common.  Any time an interface changes state, its ifLastChange time will change.  This may not be useful, especially on switch ports.  To filter this one out, check the box next to:

Interface:Last Change

The last entry looks to be another added port.  Again, you would filter out the elements I listed above.

All that said, seeing things like serial number an manufacturer name change might be useful.  You should think twice before filtering those.  Filtering out Last Change for interfaces, though, is probably a safe thing to do.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Some of the confusion you're having was addressed by the feature addition mentioned in CSCsv5193.  This was committed to RME 4.3 (part of LMS 3.2.).  However, some of the changes you're seeing are not terribly useful, and you can filter them under RME > Admin > Inventory > Inventory Change Filter.  Just check the boxes next to the attributes you do NOT want generating change records.

--

Please support CSC Helps Haiti

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

https://supportforums.cisco.com

Joe,

Could you please elaborate a bit on this?

I see these messages too in LMS 3.2.

I was thinking that the customer changed GBIC's but customers says  nobody could have touched a switch where we see this change.

I don't see what attributes I should check since I don't know what should have changed. In fact nothing I'm aware of has changed.

Also many of these attributes could potentially inform me of changes I would like to be aware of.

bug id CSCsv5193 shows as non-existed on CCO bugtool

Cheers,

Michel

Hi Joe

One more time, thanks for your quick response.

Could you please clarify the signification of these records, and describe exactly which attributes I could use for filtering ?

As stated, I tried and I did not succeed.

Regards

Roland

I'm not sure about why the first value changed.  My guess is that a port was added to this device.  To filter this, check the boxes next to:

Port:Port Serial Number

Port:Manufacturer Name

The second one is quite common.  Any time an interface changes state, its ifLastChange time will change.  This may not be useful, especially on switch ports.  To filter this one out, check the box next to:

Interface:Last Change

The last entry looks to be another added port.  Again, you would filter out the elements I listed above.

All that said, seeing things like serial number an manufacturer name change might be useful.  You should think twice before filtering those.  Filtering out Last Change for interfaces, though, is probably a safe thing to do.

It looks good. Thanks a lot Joe. Have a nice day.