Helpful
Replies

bgp suppress-inactive !

Jonn cos
Level 4
Level 4

Hi all,

I was doing my studies on bgp and came around this line in configuration guide

the bgp suppress-inactive command was introduced to configure BGP to not advertise inactive routes to any BGP peer. A BGP routing process
can advertise routes that are not installed in the routing information database (RIB) to BGP peers by default. A route that is not installed into the RIB is an inactive route.

When i tried it creating a rib-failure condition, it was still advertising it, when i searched at google, the reason was something related to next hop mismatch. My confusion is, why this condition is not specified in any cisco doc anywhere ? Is it referred in any RFC ?

2 Replies 2

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jonn,

The issue is that RIB failure in BGP can also occur if the route is installed on the RIB under another routing protocol with better AD.

This is not considered an inactive route and the command will not function as advertised.

You have to force the route to be inactive by making sure is not on the RIB

You can verify if the route is on the RIB or not by typing 'show ip route'.

Regards

Edison

______

Each time you rate a CSC   discussion   we'll donate $1 to the American Red Cross Haiti fund up to a   maximum   donation of $10,000 USD.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

Dear Edison, sorry i couldnt reply in time. I hope you dont mind.

I was searching for my post and came around this one

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/818712#818712

In this post you said, inactive routes are those that are shown with r> tag. But over here you are saying

"The issue is that RIB failure in BGP can also occur if the route is installed on the RIB under another routing protocol with better AD.

This is not considered an inactive route and the command will not function as advertised."

I am just confused as to what i am missing.

Thanks in advance

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco