Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding news stacks members

je.sanchez
Level 1
Level 1

Helo,

I have a question about adding two new members in a existing Stack of Catalysts 3750E.

As I read in the Cisco document (http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/switches/ps5023/products_configuration_example09186a00807811ad.shtml#tshoot) that the Stack fully connected must be half connected in order to add the new members. My question is if at that point: when i disconnect one Stackwise cable from my fully connected Stack, is there any disruption of traffic forwarding in the Stack?

Thanks in advance, Juan Enrique

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi

I see - then no, there should be no outage as long as all the ports are properly connected except the one you are removing...

Do a 'show switch stack-ports' on the CLI to verify it's all UP/OK, and check that they are physically well-seated and screwed in firmly.

As with any maintenance, do this at a quiet time/evening just in case you have an unexpected problem.

Regards

Aaron

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Juan

Can you highlight the bit you are referring to the in the doc because all i can see in thedoc is that the stack should be fully connected not half connected -

3750 adding slave member

Jon

Hi Jon,

the point that I mention is:

3. Make sure that the stack is fully

connected so that, when you connect the new switch, the stack will
 be at
          least in half connectivity and does not partition.

Until I understand, this point means that you must disconnect one stackwise cable in order to connect the new members to the Stack and that is my doubt. This disconnection means some down time for the switches of the stack.

Thanks, Juan Enrique

Hi

What it means is if you don't start fully connected, then you have no resilient connection. If you take one more connection out, and you break the stack into two stacks.

If you don't have a fully connected stack, then use one of the ports that is not connected to anything to add the new switch, and you should not incur any outage.

You should add another cable to make it resilient and to increase your bandwidth accross the StackWise connectors whatever happens.

Regards

Aaron

Please rate helpful posts...

Aaron Please remember to rate helpful posts to identify useful responses, and mark 'Answered' if appropriate!

Hi Aaron,

think that I didn't explain correctly.

I have a Stack fully connected with 2 3750E and I need to add 2 more switches to the stack.

In order to connect the new switches I must disconnect one of the stackwise cables of my fully connected stack. Is about this disconnection what my question is. When I disconnect my fully connected stack, outage can happen? How many time?

Thanks again, Juan Enrique

PD: I didn't know I must rate helpful posts, sorry

Hi

I see - then no, there should be no outage as long as all the ports are properly connected except the one you are removing...

Do a 'show switch stack-ports' on the CLI to verify it's all UP/OK, and check that they are physically well-seated and screwed in firmly.

As with any maintenance, do this at a quiet time/evening just in case you have an unexpected problem.

Regards

Aaron

Thanks a lot Aaron.

Juan Enrique

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco