Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 Internet Switch

nasr.khan
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Netpro,

We are terminating multiple Internet Links on a dedicated 2960 switch not connected to our LAN.

we need to monitor the link utilization using SNMP.

Question : how can i connect this switch to LAN without compromising security

Thanks

Nasr

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

nasr.khan wrote:

Hello Netpro,

We are terminating multiple Internet Links on a dedicated 2960 switch not connected to our LAN.

we need to monitor the link utilization using SNMP.

Question : how can i connect this switch to LAN without compromising security

Thanks

Nasr

Nasr

Depends on what you have in your LAN.

Do you have a firewall ?

What device routes your vlans within your LAN ?

Basically not enough info. In general though you would definitely want it on it's own dedicated vlan, preferbaly firewalled from your LAN with access tied down to just the SNMP server.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Hi Jon,

What device routes your vlans within your LAN :  4500 L3 switch

Internet Link terminates on 2960 Switch ; one leg from the switch terminates to a Router which connects to 4500 for internet connection.

Due to some specific requirements we take another leg from 2960 switch to  a customized linux box to get partners report.

unless I connect the switch to the network, I wont get the bandwidth utilizated by LinuxBox and by router.

Thanks

Nasr

nasr.khan wrote:

Hi Jon,

What device routes your vlans within your LAN :  4500 L3 switch

Internet Link terminates on 2960 Switch ; one leg from the switch terminates to a Router which connects to 4500 for internet connection.

Due to some specific requirements we take another leg from 2960 switch to  a customized linux box to get partners report.

unless I connect the switch to the network, I wont get the bandwidth utilizated by LinuxBox and by router.

Thanks

Nasr

Nasr

Sorry but you have lost me. You say the 2960 switch has a connection to a router which connects to the 4500 so you already have a connection to the 2960 from your LAN don't you ?

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card