Views
Helpful
Replies

VMPS (Dynamic VLAN Membership)

nitsg.gupta
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

I have 3750 switches as core switches and 2960 switches in my network.

Now I need to configure my network for Dynamic VLAN .

I have checked the 3750 configuration guide and as per the document I found that, we cannot configure 3750 and 2960 switches as VMPS server. We can just make these switches as VMPS client.

I also found that Cisco IOS doesn't support VMPS server. only Cat OS supports VMPS server in 5000 and 6000 series chassis.

I not getting about VMPS Server. which device can act as VMPS server.

Please suggest....  with the VMPS configuration example.

VMPS client end configuration I have got from the configuration guide.

Thanks,

Nitin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nitin

VMPS is quite an old technology now.  It is supported on CatOS but not IOS so you won't be able to use it on the 2960 or 3750 switches.

If you want to do dynamic vlan assignment with these switches then you need to look at 802.1x dynamic vlan assignment where the client authenticates to the switch and then is dynamically assigned to a vlan. For this you also need an ACS server where the vlan assignment is configured.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Nitin

VMPS is quite an old technology now.  It is supported on CatOS but not IOS so you won't be able to use it on the 2960 or 3750 switches.

If you want to do dynamic vlan assignment with these switches then you need to look at 802.1x dynamic vlan assignment where the client authenticates to the switch and then is dynamically assigned to a vlan. For this you also need an ACS server where the vlan assignment is configured.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Thanks Jon for your prompt response

So we can do this usning 802.1x and ACS server .

could you please explain it in more detail or Do you have any document on it like configuration example or something.

Thanks,

Nitin

Thanks Jon

i'll look in to it and also search for configuration example.

Thankyou very much for your support.

Just for information, especially if you need an interim solution for allocating VLANs, the "FreeNac" open source application will allow you to do VMPS allocations from a Linux host.

www.freenac.org

It's a great little App, we are using it to assist in the upgrade of a Cisco 6513 that is currently running CatOS and VMPS. It allows us to remove the VMPS function from the 6513 and still eb able to allocate VLANs to end clients with no changes to our setup.

Cheers

Jonathan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: