cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

multi cast

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! we r currently running multicast with pim  dense mode enabled in all the 6509 vlan interfaces. i noticed that, when we are doing clonning (multicast) for the PCs using ghost, the traffic spike(for the period of cloning...eg 1 hr) of about 50mbps are seen in almost all the edge sw uplink to the 6509 core sw. Is that normal? Is pim dense mode advisable to be used in a LAN environment?

do i need to turn on RP even if i'm using pim dense mode? it seems that i didn't hv any RP configured in my 6509.

If ii would to use pim sparse mode instead, what would be the configuration/command required?

thx

4 Replies 4

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

PIM Dense Mode will flood the mcast traffic via all PIM enabled interfaces and that's the reason we recommend deploying PIM Sparse mode instead of PIM Dense Mode.

PIM Dense Mode will not make use of a Rendezvous Point. If you intend to use a RP, you must configure PIM Sparse Mode.

You can configure the RP as static RP with the command

ip pim rp-address x.x.x.x

and the interface level command for PIM SM is;

interface fx/x

ip pim sparse

Regards

Edison

______

Each time you rate a CSC   discussion   we'll donate $1 to the American Red Cross Haiti fund up to a   maximum   donation of $10,000 USD.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-8895

dkblee
Level 1
Level 1

hi! thanks for the assistance. I got a few questions to check

1) For the RP, can it be one of the vlan interface's IP? what's that the normal practice? What would be the best candidate for the RP? in my case, i only have a pair of 6509 with about 20x 4506 sw. Can i've 2 RPs instead of one?

2) The interface for sparse mode, is it on the vlan interface or physical interface?

3) For the edge switch, do i need to enable multicast with sparse mode command on the physical interface?

Thanks.

1) Best Practice is to use a Loopback IP address as it always remain up/up.

Yes, you can have 2 RPs. For this design I recommend using Anycast RP with MSDP.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/ipmulti/configuration/guide/imc_basic_cfg_ps6350_TSD_Products_Configuration_Guide_Chapter.html#wp1062999

2) The interface that contains the IP address

3) If the edge switching are routing, you need to enable multicast routing globally as well as enable PIM on all L3 transit interfaces.

Regards

Edison

hi! so does that mean i only need to enalbe ip multi

cast and dense mode in L3 edge sw and not the L2 edge switch whereby the vlan interfaces are at the core sw?

thx.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco