cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Internal dialing 4 Digit without pressing Dial softkey.

Jamil Hussain
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I recently setup IP Telephony setup for my company with CUCM 7.I Got a request from my staff that they want to dial Internal 4 digit without pressing Dial Soft key.

They were using before Nortel BCM and they just press the 4 digit internal extension and it rings to the users without lifting up phone Handset or without pressing dial softkey from Nortel Bcm.

Now they asked me to do the same setup with cisco call manager 7 when any internal users wants to dial to other user inside the company he just dial the 4 digits and it automatically sends the dialled digit without pressing the dial soft key or lifting up the handset..

waiting for your reply

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

All you need is wait the interdigit timeout to expire

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Jaime Valencia
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

That's not possible, the Cisco way is you dial the DN and then dial softkey

That or go offhook and dial

HTH

java

If this helps, please rate

www.cisco.com/go/pdihelpdesk

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

All you need is wait the interdigit timeout to expire

Could you please guide me how i can set the interdigit timeout for 4 digit dialling.

where i have to set this value..

waiting for your reply

This timeout is applied everytime you dial a number of any length.http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a00800dab26.shtml

Generally speaking, CUCM waits time specified in this pameter after each digit(in you case after four digit you are not pressing any buttons so it waits this timer to expire to route a call)

Sorry for my English(

Sure, but the request was this:

1. User looks at phone

2. User dials 4-digits and presses no other buttons

What happens? After around 10 seconds, the display will clear and nothing else happens.

If you want the phone to place a call then you have to do one of the following:

(A)

1. User looks at phone

2. User hits speaker phone (or headset or takes handset off of cradle)

3. User dials 4-digits

4. Call is routed immediately (assuming that there is no better route - off topic)

(B)

1. User looks at phone

2. User dials 4-digits

3. User hits Dial Softkey

4. Call is routed immediately (assuming that there is no better route - off topic)

(C)

1. User looks at phone

2. Use dials 4-digits

3. User hits speaker phone button, headset button, or takes the phone off of the cradle

Now, if the problem is that after the user goes off hook (pre or post dialing 4-digits) the call is just sitting there, then the interdigit time comes into play. Actually, I'd say fix the dial plan, but that's just me.

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

HTH -Bill (b) http://ucguerrilla.com (t) @ucguerrilla

Please remember to rate helpful responses and identify

Interdigit timeout isn't going to solve your original problem. But, if you want to know how to set it, go to the service parameters for Call Manager. Search for T.302 timer. The default is 15000 (which is 15 seconds).

HTH.

Regards,

Bill

I thought the original post was to enter digits in the phone without going offhook or pressing dial to call. The interdigit timeout doesn't even come into play here unless the actual problem was that there is a digit overlap somewhere. But I didn't pick that up from the original post.

Anyway, if you hit speakerphone and dial 4-digits the call will route. OR, you can dial 4-digit and hit the Dial softkey. Those are the primary methods from the IP phone for dialing. This isn't taking click-to-call, directory dialing, etc. into account.

Regards,

Bill

Seems like I misinterpreted the original post( Hard working day.

Yes. I can totally understand that.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Jamil,

Just to add one further note to the excellent tips from my friends Java and Bill

(+5 points each guys!)

We still run some Nortel here on our campus and the feature you are referring

to is called "Live Dial Pad". The thing about it that 99% of users still have to

pickup the handset to actually speak with the desired called party. When we first

moved our users from Nortel to CUCM we had this same discussion

Once the users realized that they could pre-dial and pickup the handset to match

the same "Live Dial Pad" functionality nobody even balked. Just our experience here,

but many of them thought you had to pre-dial > press dial softkey > and then pickup

the handset not knowing that this step > press dial softkey > could be skipped completely.

Cheers!

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: