Views
Helpful
Replies

Output errors on an interface of etherchannel

gurkamal01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have 2 interfaces  which are a part of  an etherchannel link from  Core switch 2 to back up servers These 2 interfaces are displaying output errors

This core switch 2 has an connection to a 3550 to which a linux server is attached

Backup is been performed from linux server to the backup servers everyday and we see a network performance issue as backup take way too long.

Lnx server is attached to 3550 at 100/ full connection on port fa0/17 and there is no duplex mismatch issues, port fa0/17 has underrun errors (see attachment)

Core switch 2 has port gi5/15 and gi5/16 in the etherchannel and are on 1000/full connection (see attachment)

Can anybody provide me a solution for this problem

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi all,

I have 2 interfaces  which are a part of  an etherchannel link from  Core switch 2 to back up servers These 2 interfaces are displaying output errors

This core switch 2 has an connection to a 3550 to which a linux server is attached

Backup is been performed from linux server to the backup servers everyday and we see a network performance issue as backup take way too long.

Lnx server is attached to 3550 at 100/ full connection on port fa0/17 and there is no duplex mismatch issues, port fa0/17 has underrun errors (see attachment)

Core switch 2 has port gi5/15 and gi5/16 in the etherchannel and are on 1000/full connection (see attachment)

Can anybody provide me a solution for this problem

Thanks

Attachments:                

Hi,

Following are the observation of interface logs of 3550:-

There have been 8414 'output buffer failures' reported.  If outgoing interface buffers are not available, an output buffer failure is reported.If an interface buffer is available but the Transmit Queue Limit is reached,  the packet is dropped. However, if 'transmit-buffers backing-store' is enabled,  the packet is placed in a System Buffer (which has to be obtained from an appropriate  Free-List), and enqueued in the Output Hold queue for future transmission at  the Process level, and an Output Buffer Swap is reported.
and  8414 'underruns' have been reported, which amounts to 0.00514% of the  total input traffic. This is because, the far-end transmitter runs faster than
the receiver of the near-end router can handle.

Check out this:- Monitor the level of underruns over time. If they continue increasing,  consider buffer and queue tuning or upgrading hardware.

Check out the below link for buffer tuning

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a00800a7b80.shtml

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.