Views
Helpful
Replies

Etherchannel 10G and 1G

ajinc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Team

Can we etherchannel 10G on VS720 and 3X1G together to get 13Gig Bandwidth, Not using VSS

Thx

5 Replies 5

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

ajinc wrote:

Hi Team

Can we etherchannel 10G on VS720 and 3X1G together to get 13Gig Bandwidth, Not using VSS

Thx

No you can't. One of the requirements of etherchannel is that the individual links must all be the same speed.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Team

Thx

Hi,

Following are the pre-requisite for configuring etherchannel,so you can't if speed are different.

All interfaces in an EtherChannel must be configured identically. Specific settings that must be identical include:
• Speed settings
• Duplex settings
• STP settings
• VLAN membership (for access ports)
• Native VLAN (for trunk ports)
• Allowed VLANs (for trunk ports)
• Trunking Encapsulation (ISL or 802.1Q, for trunk ports)

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Is there any alternative way of utilising all links,  I have only single vlan for switches hence no STP load balancing,

I need to utilise all the links. any other thoughts ?

Thx

ajinc wrote:

Is there any alternative way of utilising all links,  I have only single vlan for switches hence no STP load balancing,

I need to utilise all the links. any other thoughts ?

Thx

You could  form an etherchannel with the 3x1Gbps links and then manually allow vlans onto either the 10Gbps link or the 3Gbps etherchannel. Trouble with this is if one of the links fails then you are not allowing the vlans on the other link so you don't have resiliency. The main issue would be with the 10GBps connection because that is the single link.

Edit - you could also make them L3 routed links and have a 10Gbps routed link and a 3Gbps L3 etherchannel but these are then unequal cost paths so EIGRP with a variance command would be the only option to fully utilise the links and although i have never used it a few of the people on these forums recommend against using the variance command.

Any other routing protocol would only use the 10Gbps unless you influenced the metrics but then you actually lose out because you are saying a 3Gbps link is equal to a 10Gbps link.

Jon

Here is an issue where I have only single vlan in this network. Can we achive loadbalancing with L2 VPN links between the switches, EoMPLS etc

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: