cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

network setup change

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Please refer the diagram attached. I want to remove internet  WiMax link from the setup and use the same point to point link for internet acces.My internet usage is mainly for Vidoe conf purpose.

Can Anyone suggest what are the config changes I need to do in the local and remote config to achieve this.

thanks

V

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

vicky.dhas@bt.com

Thanks Ian  I am happy.but just want to clear my  basics a bit  ..can I

terminate an internet link directly on a layer 2 switch ...assuming that this will route all packet to default gateway configured if I doesnt need any NATing or dynamic routing/

If the switch is a L2 switch then the default-gateway is not relevant because that is only used for traffic generated by the switch ie. it is not used to forward client traffic through the switch.

Jon

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Please refer the diagram attached. I want to remove internet  WiMax link from the setup and use the same point to point link for internet acces.My internet usage is mainly for Vidoe conf purpose.

Can Anyone suggest what are the config changes I need to do in the local and remote config to achieve this.

thanks

V

Hi Vicky,

Need some clarification is both the links from same ISP and right now the point to point link is passive mode and only wi-max link is working ,If yes then you need to have proper downtime to shutdown the wi-max link and can use the same ip subnet at each end location in point to point link.

Then you need drop a route for site A at site B and vice versa at each location to have the connectivity.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Hi Ganesh,

thanks for your help

Infact the point to point link is working and is used by LAN users for accessing applications hosted in the IDC.

I want to discontinue the Wimax link that is dedicated only for internet if I can use the  point to point link for accessing internet with some configuration/setup changes

thanks

Yes Ganesh both the links are from same provider.

Vicky

Not enough information at the moment. How do the clients know to use the WiMax link at the moment for internet access ?

That said the basics are -

You will need a default route on your office router pointing to the DC router.

On the DC router you will need a default-route pointing to the provider next-hop router. It's not clear from your diagram if there is a firewall anywhere, there should be. If you are using private addressing you will need to NAT the source IPs to public internet addresses before they go out to the ISP.

I'm assuming in your DC you have a firewall where this can be done ? I'm also assuming you don't use a proxy server and clients go straight out to the internet.

Jon

Cisco are currently donating money to the Haiti earthquake appeal for every rating so please consider rating all helpful posts.

Jon Thank you very much

Yes there is a D-link switch on whcih Wimax link terminates.and all your other assumptions are correct.

Vicky

No problem. Are you happy with what you need to do now ?

Jon

terminate an internet link directly on a layer 2 switch ...assuming that this will route all packet to default gateway configured if I doesnt need any NATing or dynamic routing/

vicky.dhas@bt.com

If the switch is a L2 switch then the default-gateway is not relevant because that is only used for traffic generated by the switch ie. it is not used to forward client traffic through the switch.

Jon

you are of great help Ian...lets help Haiti victim

thanks a lot

V

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card